CM and Apple's new G4

pritzl

Well, I'm finally upgrading my system to one of those fancy new G4s that Apple just released. smile.gif

What does BTS think of the new G4s? I wouldn't anticipate optimization for the velocity engine (lets call it Altivec from now on...it's shorter) in the initial release of CM, but do you think it is something we might see in a patch? I don't know much about writing code but it seems to me that much of the number crunching that CM does would be exactly the kind of stuff that the G4 with altivec would be great for.

I'm Interested in your thoughts and opinions on what looks to be a very cool new system.

Thanks

Guest Big Time Software

All partisan Pentium/Gx statements aside, the G4 is going to toast any Pentium out there when it comes to 3D and raw calculations in CM. Reason being that floating point is the most important aspect. I forget the numbers of FP calcs the G4 can do, but it is staggering. The G3 is already faster than a P3 at the same speed (heck, the 604e is faster than a P2 at the same speed). We are thinking it is finally time to upgrade ourselves, so I think everybody knows where some of our first royalty checks are going smile.gif

As far as Altivec is concerned, I know its original (Moto) form would speed up things without code changes (unlike MMX or the like). I hope this is still true with the compromise solution Apple forged between the three parties. We shall see!

Steve