Multiplayer stuff

Am I correct in remembering that Battlefront is going to host a PBEM opponent registry for CM? Also will CM hotseat as well as it does PBEM?

I've never done PBEM before, and I am a little nervous about it. However, I know that it's probably the only reliable way to find a human opponent, which is always better than playing the AI. However, sounds like you guys are going to narrow the gap quite a bit.

Guest Big Time Software

Multiplayer options are Hotseat, PBEM, and TCP/IP (Net and most likely LAN).

Nothing to fear from PBEM, as we have made it all but cheat proof. It is a great way to do up a game over a prolonged period of time, but TCP is better because both players can play at the same time. In other words, PBEM has the same problems that Hotseat does.

We aren't sure about who is going to host PBEM laders. All I can say at this point is that SOMEONE will smile.gif

Steve

Thanks for the reply.

Kind of off topic, but:

Did you see that someone started another company similar to yours, Shrapnel Games?

They actually mentioned Battlefront.com in a congrtulatory manner since the idea started here. That the idea is catching on is good news for the gamers, but I don't know how you guys feel about it. Will it be competition, or will their success not hurt yours?

Also, did you see the Academy on their site? Interesting idea.

The problem with their site, currently, is that they only offer one product.

I got to thinking about what you said about the TCP/IP play and it brought a question to mind. I fully expect for you to tell me this is impossible, but I got to ask. In Internet play can both players enter their orders at the same time?

Like I said I imagine that is impossible, but boy would it be cool. Maintain all the value of a turn-based two player game, but move nice and quick too.

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>In Internet play can both players enter their orders at the same time?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Internet play isn't done yet, but that's the plan.

Charles

Guest KwazyDog

On the same note, is LAN play TCPIP or IPX or both smile.gif? I remember when the first Close Combat came out, the idea of a TCP/IP LAM was new to me, but evenrything uses it thes days smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Officially only TCP/IP. However, IPX might be unofficially supported. Dunno, depends on if DirectX does its job correctly. In theory the two should basically work, but history with MS shows that we should not make that assumption wink.gif Because of that we are going to focus on TCP only. If IPX works, GREAT! If not, we aren't planning on delaying the release to get it to work.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

You should be able to play via TCP/IP between two machines. I can't remember for the life of me how to do it, but it isn't any more difficult than setting it up for IPX so far as I can remember. This is why IPX is not very high on our list of priorities smile.gif

Steve

In windoze its pretty easy.. I found tcp/ip to be alot more stable than ipx anyway. You just bind tcp/ip to the network adapter just like you would ipx. You usually have to make up some ip addresses for the machines, and a subnet mask, but thats about it.

Chris