Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

civil war game

bowenw

Is there any information on a possible civil war game on Battlefront?

Bill

Just went through the posts for the last year and found one dated 12-22-2012 by Panzer asking the same question, and there were no replies, now that seems odd to me. I am sure that Battlefront Ceo's;) check all of the posts now and then :confused: if not they should.

I rarely get over here to look at the posts because I have very little time to browse around due to working on MWIF which takes quite a bit of my free time available to me. But I noticed that Matrix, Slitherine and Ageod have agreed to work together for the betterment of the computer war gaming industry and themselves of course.

I was not much interested in the civil war era until now, that is why I am asking the question above. Matrix games in that era are Tillers civil war, Civil war1 the Blue and the Gray, the acclaimed Forge of Freedom, and the Scourge of War series, Shortly will be Civil War 2 and Brother against Brother..

Is there a reason why Battlefront has avoided that era? Just curious not trying to make any statement. If it is a policy of Battlefront to avoid that era then fine I have no problem with their decision in that area but I was wondering why they would allow one company [Matrix] reap all the rewards and profits from what seems to be a very large gaming community [Civil War]

Bo

Bill

Beta tester MWIF

Is there any information on a possible civil war game on Battlefront?

Nothing along those lines has been announced and it is unlikely to appear on BFC's horizon any time in the foreseeable future. They are a small company and it behooves them to specialize somewhat and concentrate on what they do well, and for which there is a demonstrable audience. While ACW is a popular subject here in the US, I am doubtful that it appeals to a large segment of the worldwide game buying public, and a lot of BFC's customer base is international. If all goes well and they can afford to hire additional designers and programers, they may expand further into other areas and eras. They have already produced a modern era game and it is expected that they will make more. So it is possible that some day a family or two of ACW games will appear, but less than a decade from now? Hmmm, my tea leaves say that is less likely.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Gary Grigsby's game on the subject is the best, imo. It plays out plausibly on a grand strategy scale minus the micro-management angst of War in the East. It was one of the few that inspired me to initiate some PBEMs. Unfortunately my last opp was a bit of a cheat, alleging comp issues and forcing me to resend turns endlessly. I was the Union. He finally cornered Grant's Army outside of Vicksburg and annihilated it, capturing 20,000 men. I resigned.