Basic Questions

Questions

These are things I probably should know, but don't. I am a causal gamer who is interested in CM, so I don't know JACK. These questions apply only to the ETO Overlord Campaign. So please don't tell me about the Japanese, Russians, or early war.

*What is the average US Army Squad and what did they carry?

*There are three different types of German infantry, how are they different and what did they carry?

*What is the composition of a US Platoon; how many men and what did they carry? Same question for the Germans.

*What is the composition of a US Company; how many men and what did they carry? Same question for the Germans.

*What is the composition of a US Regiment; how many men and what did they carry? Same question for the Germans.

*What is a Panzerfaust? Did all German squads have one? How many rounds? What are the Specs?

------------------

"Armchair Generals never lose any men"-Darstand

Guest Big Time Software

I'll take some quick stabs at one of these, and leave the rest to others...

The Germans had WAY more than 3 types of infantry. Oh my did they smile.gif We have the following MAJOR types of infantry:

Rifle 44

Volks Grenadier

Rifle 45

PzGren (Armd)

PzGren (Mot)

Mountain

Security

Parachute

Volkssturm

I'm probably forgeting some too smile.gif On top of this you have Engineers and some other types that were organized differently depending on who they belonged to.

How different are these formations? VERY. Headcount ranges from 8-10 men, weapons are sometimes all SMGs, other times mostly rifles. Some squads even have TWO LMGs. Yes, big headache doing this smile.gif

Guest KwazyDog

Dar, the Panzerfaust is an anti tank weapon as Colin said. It came in 5 flavours (with the 4th only going into production in November 44). They are as follows (the figure in the name apparently is the suggested range of the weapon)

Panzerfaust 30

Velocity : 98 feet per sec

Penetration at 30deg : 140mm

Panzerfaust 30k (smaller diametre, more damaging warhead)

Velocity : 98 feet per sec

Penetration at 30deg : 200mm

Panzerfaust 60

Velocity : 148 feet per sec

Panzerfaust 100

Velocity : 200 feet per sec

Panzerfaust 150 (designed as reloadable version)

Velocity : 270 feet per sec

As you can see, the penetration of these weapons made them something that was a potentially devistating weapon. I believe they were common, and Id say most infantry would have had them. Probably 1-3 per squad. Target figure initally for units made was 200,000 per month in '43 (rather common smile.gif), and even late in the war between January till April '45 100,000 of the 150 alone were made. Getting them to the troops were another matter though. Anyways, it made allied tankers think twice before driving near a German infantry squad (and so should you in CM, hehe).....hope this is of interest wink.gif

Dan

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 09-23-99).]

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 09-24-99).]

But, if I'm not mistaken the panzerfaust was also a one time weapon wasn't it... So one blast and if you didn't hit well the next blast was for you, unless you had more than one in a squad.

I maybe wrong, but I don't think so..

------------------

Sgt. Rock Says " War is Hell, but games are fun "

Guest KwazyDog

No, nowhere near as much smile.gif Though, as Ive corrected above, there were about 100,000 made between Jan to April '45, but due to transport problems they were hard to get to the troops who needed them. They were designed to be used roughly 10 times before disposal. Its interesting to note that they also designed a fragmentation device to slot over the warhead to use as an anti personal weapon as well.

There was also a 250 varient in development at the end of the war. It got to trials but thats about it....I believe the Panzerfaust 60 was generally the most common, though I could be wrong... smile.gif

Its interesting to compare there penetration values with that of a Bazooka and Piat, which I believe is rated at around 75 to 80mm, and my references dont even suggest an angle on those armour penetrations (though I imagine there was). For those whom are wondering, I believe an anlge of about, umm was it 30 deg, doubled the effective armour on a vehicle. The Panzerfaust is certainally a weapong to be respected! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 09-23-99).]