French Foreign Legion

Hi Strider

I have a lot of difficulty finding any information at all on the Free French. And I have found minor references to what appear to be some interesting battles fought in 44 in France. Just can't find the details.

Koenigs unit in North Africa had a Foreign Legion component which I think fought at Bir Hakim. Which I am assuming remained for use in Italy if there were any survivors.

A demi-brigade of Foreign Legion evacuated from Dunkirk to England elected to join the Free French forces. But I don't know how they were used afterward.

I don't believe the French 2nd Armored had a foreign legion component.

Sorry but that is about all the info I have at the moment on the Foreign Legion. Perhaps someone else knows something.

I would like to know if there are any good books on the Free French from 44 onwards. I haven't been able to find any.

Ken

[This message has been edited by Ken Talley (edited 08-28-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Just got Nafziger's French OB book a couple of weeks ago. No real time to look at it, but there are 34 divisions (of three basic types) listed as being Colonial. My understanding is that Foreign Legion troop were part of this force. After France fell things become confused as there were LOTS of reorganizatios. Foreign Legion troops seem to have been part of normal division types.

By January 1944 the French had 5 infantry and 3 armored divisions, which was increased to 7 infantry divisions by February 1945. This last force was an Army with 2 Corps.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 08-28-99).]

I just finished reading Koenig's book about Bir Hakeim, so maybe I can help...

The French Foreign Legion has a long and complex story in WW2 (as most Free French units). Coming back from Norway, the 2nd Battalion of 13th DBLE (Demi-Brigade de Légion Etrangère) elected to follow de Gaulle (soon to be Gal Koenig was among them as a Captain), while the 1st Battalion chose to go to Morroco and side with Vichy's govt. The 2nd Battalion was progressively beefed up by volunteers from various origins (French escaped from France, Germany, or Vichy's colonies, French living abroad or in Free France's colonies, Foreigners from French ascendance or eager to fight Nazism, volunteers from another FFL unit based in Syria - 6th REI...) and soon got back to 2 then 3 Bns and took back the name of 13eme DBLE.

The unit was sent to Western Africa in September 1940 for an unsuccessful operation planned to rally Dakar, and had more success in Gabon in November.

The 1st Battalion was then sent to Erythrée against the Italians (Feb-April 1941), and the 13th DBLE was in Syria in June, but I don't think they fought there.

Then, the 1st Free French Brigade was formed, including 2nd and 3rd Bn of 13th DBLE, fought around Sollum, and at Bir Hakeim in June 1942

A good deal of the DBLE managed to force its way through German and Italian lines on 10th June. After being re-equipped with English equipment, they were engaged later at El Alamein.

The DBLE was then included in the newborn 1st DFL (Division Française Libre = Free French Div) and fought in Italy, and France (with de Lattre's 1st Free French Army) from Provence to Germany.

It can be noted that in the utter chaos that was France in June 1940, a number of Légionnaires joined the Free French Forces on an individual basis and fought with "regular" units. For instance, in 1944, 7th Company, Régiment de Marche du Tchad (a unit from Leclerc's 2nd Armored Div) had in its ranks 1 anti-nazi German, 1 Austrian, 1 Romanian, 1 Czech , 1 Italian and 4 French who were former members of FFL. However, Leclerc's division had no FFL unit.

Hope this helps...

Joël