Deployment Map

Guest Rhet Schmidt

Guest Rhet Schmidt

A problem I have noticed with most computer war games is the map scale during deployment. The player has to zoom in to see the placement of the units. This "zoom in" is so tight that the overall view of the battle field is lost to the player. So in order to check the deployment for interlocking fields of fire, LOS, unit densities, objective points, etc. the player is continually zooming in and out. Could a "deployment map" be added to CM. During the setup phase a "print" button could be available for the player to clik on. This would print out an 8.5" x 11" (or A4 for the Euro types) color map of the battle field. Other pertinant info could also be plotted on this map to include victory locations, deployment boundaries & reinforcement entry locations.

Players could also use this during the battle for numerous reasons. At the least it should cut down on the "zoom outs" to refresh the players memory of the terrain of the entire battle field.

P.S. Is there a button to check LOS during the deployment phase in the game yet?

------------------

Rhet

Guest Big Time Software

We understand the problems with zooming. Honestly, I haven't noticed a problem so far. The reason is that at the angle I almost always use I can see quite a bit of the map in any one direct. A quick rotation allows me to see the rest in any other direction. Because of this we will most likely NOT include a print map feature. But we will withhold final judgment until we get some BIG maps built!

There is a "point and shoot" LOS line available for any unit at any time. Just hit the "L" key and move the cursor around to see what you can see. There is plenty of feedback to tell you what you need to know. Also, selecting targets works the same way (i.e. moving the mouse around to select a target also shows you LOS at the same time).

Steve

--------Steve at BigTime said--------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:We understand the problems with zooming. :Honestly, I haven't noticed a problem so :far. The reason is that at the angle I :almost always use I can see quite a bit of :the map in any one direct. A quick rotation :allows me to see the rest in any other :direction. Because of this we will most :likely NOT include a print map feature. But :we will withhold final judgment until we :get some BIG maps built!

Please, please, please, PLEASE add in a print map function. I plan on playing the game exclusively from a top down perspectivve and have always wanted to be able to print out maps from a wargame to aid in planning. As it is now, it can be done, but is a reasonable degree of bother.

Now, a question re: zoom and view of battle field. You've stated that you use a perspective such that most of the battlefield is viewable. Will *I* be able to see most of the battlefield from a top down perspective, or will I have to scroll around, or will a zoom function help smile.gif

Tom

Guest Big Time Software

At most we will allow the map to be dumped out as a file. But even that requires a decent programming effort. So no promises.

The highest overhead view can see quite a bit of even the biggest map (say, 60%-80%?) all in one go. The higher your screen resolution, the more you see. In general I use the medium overhead view to set my units up, then use a 3/4 view for most of my planning. During playback I switch from 3/4 to "Trench Cam" when there is something really cool to watch.

Steve

A compromise would be for BTS to allow us to take screenshots with a single keyclick. You'd take a high-altitude, looking-down shot. The screenshot is saved to file, and then you use any decent imaging program to print your screenshot.