Sound Bytes

BTS,

I was just looking at some of your "research" video footage that I downloaded from the web page. Research at the old firing range eh? And with mg's, flamethrowers, and Sub-machine guns to boot. Really cool. Thanks for posting a few videos of this it is very interesting. Looking at and hearing these weapons brings to mind a question that has been in the back of my little pea brain. How authentic are the sounds in CM going to be? While I'm certain that you will have sound bytes of hand grenades, guns, etc., do you intend to record many / most of the actual weapons sounds that will be included in the game? How many of the mg's, main tank/anti-tank guns, various small arms, etc. actually still exist and are available to record? Where does one find the sound of a King Tiger ripping of an 88mm round? Will a Thompson sub-machinegun really sound like a Thomposon smg? I imagine it would be quite a job to go and find all those that are available and then get them to a firing range and be able to record the sounds. Are there authentic sound recordings of specific models of mg's, main guns, etc. that you can use? I hope the sounds will at least be as genuine as possible given the limitations stated above and time restrictions in developing the game. I think having the sounds be authentic as possible will add a lot to the game both in terms of overall realism as well as the actual game experience itself.

Regards,

Mike D

aka Mikester

Guest Big Time Software

Mike, good point. The sounds are as accurate as we can make them. Some are 100% accurate, like the .30 and .50 cal MGs. Other things, like artillery explosions, are probably as accurate as you are ever going to get. Other things we have rigged up using known sources (I have an MG42 on tape, but not of great quality so we created our own. Sounds JUST like it, trust me). BUT, there are somethings that we have found no known source for. The 88 is one such weapon. The thing is, how would anybody out there know what it sounds like for real? Anybody ever heard an 88 fire, in person or on some sort of audio recording? We know we certainly haven't. So, we can only do so much. Beauty is that it doesn't matter so long as you think it is real. And when I have the camera positioned near my Sherman, and I hear the 88 sound, I don't question its realism, I just order my tank to get the He..BLAM!, ooooops, too late wink.gif

Steve