False sound contacts?

How is it determined where they end up? Is it purely random in a certain distance from the source of the sound? Or is there some further logic to it? I'm asking because, and it may be purely coincindence, in a game I was just playing, it seems as though I got a single sound contact from two tanks close together that was a lot closer to me than the tanks were...

-John

Think of a sound contact as being in the "general location" of the enemy.. It can be a fair bit nearer or farther than the real enemy is but a sound contact is only a rough guesstimate of the enemy location. It seems to me that the farther away the enemy is the more likely your sound contact is to be a lot wrong.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Geez... I know that they're wrong, and I know that's intentional FoW stuff, what I want to know is HOW they're wrong. Specifically whether my guys really did mistake two tanks far away for one tank considerably closer. It would be kinda cool if that weren't just coincidence...

-John

If you see two tanks at the SAME TIME then you can presume there are two armoured vehicles out there. Maybe 1 of them is the nearby one you later spotted, maybe not. It's all a FOW thing.

My guess is you were really seeing 2 tanks. 1 near and 1 far. Beside the far tank was another tank but you weren't able to distinguish that sounds and so didn't have a sound contact for it.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Ok, I watched the film for the turn again, and it answered my question... One tank moved up to a position fairly near me, then stopped. Then I got a sound contact for the one following behind, and when it got close to the first one, the first started moving again, so I started getting two contacts.

Which gives me a clever idea... masking the number of tanks you actually have by moving one at a time. Observant folks would probably notice, but maybe not, as there is some uncertainty in the contacts.

Another question raised by the rewatching of that film... Do sound contacts actually show facing, or do they just face the direction it sounds like they're moving? I see the first tank turned around and going backwards, though I suspect it was only reversing...

One more thing.. will fog affect the accuracy of sound contacts any?

-John

Guest L Tankersley

On the other hand, it seems like if you have more than about 2 vehicles moving, it should be hard for the opponent to get much information other than "there's a bunch of vehicles over there somewhere." Vehicles should maybe drown out infantry sound contacts, too, depending on distance.

That would be interesting -- drive a couple vehicles around behind some cover (a ridge or woodline) to fix the enemy's attention, then circle around and hit him from the flank.

Leland J. Tankersley

Guest Big Time Software

Right now sounds don't drown out other sounds. It is very much on The List, but I'm not sure it will get into the first release. It is pretty hairy from a coding standpoint frown.gif

Just to be clear, there can be only *one* sound contact made per enemy unit. So if you see two sound contacts for two tanks, there are indeed two tanks (or at least two vehicles smile.gif). Facing is accurate, otherwise it would look visually stupid if you "heard" the tank moving left and it was facing to the right smile.gif

Steve

Well, Leland would have to confirm this (turn 3 film, I think), but I suspect the tank was actually reversing... so the facing was innaccurate in order to not be visually stupid. smile.gif Which is as it should be... Unless of course, tanks actually sounded different backing up, which I really wouldn't know...

::flashing lights::

*beep* *beep* *beep*

-John