Problems with AI and 'gamey' issues

Guest Big Time Software

Sage, I take issue with there being some sort of "fault" with the way the M18s came into play. If you want to find fault, blame the US M10s that did the same thing in the battle for Kommerscheidt smile.gif One minute the Germans were pressing home their attack with 5 tanks (several of them Panthers), and the next moment 4 out of 5 (or was it all 5? I forget) were brewed up. Granted the M10s did this from a hill almost 3000m away, but the idea came from a historical example, and therefore is kinda hard to find "fault" with other than the fact that you personally don't like it. I'm sure the German tankers that were blown out of their tanks didn't either wink.gif

Steve

Okay. It's a preference in Scenario design. Fionn actually agrees with me on this one, i.e. that the tanks should probably appear in an area with restricted LOS. I don't like it, either as attacker OR defender. But it's a pretty minor issue.

Sage

Guest Big Time Software

Good, I'm glad you don't like it wink.gif I make my scenarios with that in mind sometimes. War sucks and really terrible things happen (sometimes for both sides with the same event) more often than other scenario designers would have you believe. In a perfect world those M18s would have come in from the flank, or through some sort of cover. Why make a scenario "perfect" all the time? I say, throw the player some curve balls and see how they react to them in the game. You or Fionn certainly don't have to like it, or make your own that way, but I like to watch gamers squirm when a realistic, but not very cool, thing is forced upon them. Challenges should not always be pleasent ones wink.gif

Steve

Ahh... see, I dislike it because it is NOT realistic. Essentially, you have modeled three TD's 'teleporting' onto the top of a ridgeline, not cresting that ridgeline as they would have done 'IRL.' I think the best way to model this situation within the limitations of your game engine would be to extend the down-hill side of your ridge about 100 more yards, so that the TDs appear juuuuust out of LOS, and are forced to move into view (potentially just hull down as well) and THEN aquire targets. That is more like real life, unless the US Military isn't telling us something...

Mind you, now, I'm just arguing for the hell of it, as I consider it a really minor issue.

Sage

BTS, gotta agree there.

First play as Germans - doing good until the *fateful* turn, when in the course of 45 seconds, I was raped of all my armor.

Second play as Germans - doing well again, but made two stupid moves. If you plan to scoot and shoot, make *sure* they aren't already looking at where you are scooting. frown.gif

Third play as Germans - Minor German victory (thought so much about armor, the Infantry were *hurting*).

Fourth play as Germans - Total Victory, with a victory lap in my Tiger atop the hill, sweeping up 60mm Mortar teams.

One small scenario, 4 tries to conquer it *well*. 3 to 1 casualty ratio, 34 captures, 1 HT, Stg, and Tiger left at end.

Now a bigger battle may increase the number of tries. Curve balls are okay, it keeps you on your toes.

Imagine a bigger scenario where reinforcements for the opponent show up all from one place - *yawn*, staggered from one place - *better*, all at once from multiple locations - *ouch*, staggered from multiple locations, some to your front, flank, or rear - *jeez louise*.

Some directly in play, others that need to be worked into the battle. Not unbalancing odds, but locations that make you think about the flanks "off the map", If you are the schwerpunkt, expect counter attacks from the flanks.

Yes, I forsee some really nasty battles coming on... just keep a watch for the "Crafted by Herr Oberst" seal, sure to screw your plans more than once.