AFV vs. AFV accuracy

//Disclaimer:

I don't really know what I'm talking about. wink.gif

//End Disclaimer.

Is anyone else out there seeing about 33% or higher hit percentage on first shots? Note that I'm not talking kills, but hits. It seems to me that I (and the enemy) are getting lots of first-shot hits. With the Hellcats, I'm even getting first-shot hits at 800m while on the move. Just wondered if my tactics (which most would probably agree are poor-awful) have anything to do with this, or if something in the game needs a little tweaking.

Of course, this could also be a result of small maps. Just as a guesstimate, what would the knowledgeable people out there (Fionn?) estimate would be a first-hit percentage at 800m for a Hellcat? A Tiger? A Stug?

As background, I come to CM from SL/ASL, in which tank vs. tank warfare seemed MUCH slower playing out. I can't remember how big the hexes were, so I'm having a hard time translating (sorry, I know I should unlearn, but it's HARD, sooo hard.... smile.gif).

On average I'd expect an average crew to hit with 1 shot in 3 at 500 metres under perfect conditions BUT as with all things sometimes you get 1st shot kills and other 8 shots miss wink.gif

E.g. I just had a Tiger miss a stationary Hellcat at about 250 metres :-( Luckily I was reversing back from my position so the Hellcat didn't get to shoot back.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest L Tankersley

Hmm, let's see ... ASL's scale is notionally about 40m/hex. So 800m is roughly 20 hexes. At this range the base hit number for the vehicle target type is 7. NRBH, but I think at that range the high-velocity gun would raise it to an 8. The Tiger is a large target, so in ASL a stationary M18 firing at a stationary Tiger at 800m has about an 80% chance of hitting on the first shot. Firing on the move is another matter - about 10% I think. If the M18 has a gyrostabilizer (I don't know if any M18s did or not offhand) it gets better - roughly 33% I think. Are these hit percentages (or those in CM) at all realistic? Beats me.

It should be noted that ASL is rife with abstractions, and one of the biggest is turn length. The stated turn length is supposed to be around 2 minutes, but in AFV duels I think it's safe to say that significantly less time is represented. wink.gif

It _would_ be interesting to know what factors affect hit probability in CM and at least roughly how large the effects are. Maybe in the manual?

Leland J. Tankersley

Thanks Fionn. I'm beginning to think you're an AI daemon that Charles hacked up to answer all the tech questions on this board. To test, what's your response to this statement: "I always lie." wink.gif

Thanks Leland. Looks like you've either got ASL right there, or you're the 'Fionn' of the QRC. smile.gif

BTW, I also wanted to say to Steve and Charles that this is an EXCELLENT game. Unbelievably good and fun and exciting and fun. And good. smile.gif

I finally won as the Americans in Last Defense last night. Coolest part: got a side penetration of the Tiger AND IT KEPT ON GOING!!! It appeared to have done something to the turret tracking mechanism, as the turret was stuck to one side and stayed there as it moved to the south of the battlefield, apparently to help stop my counterattack. I maneuvered my Hellcat around to its rear and got another penetration, which apparently STILL didn't kill the beast, but did force the crew to abandon. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by johnnymo (edited 11-05-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Johny, sounds like you KO'd the gun and probably killed a crew member too. It is amazing what kind of damage a vehicle can sometimes take and still move. I was *just* looking through a new book I got today and there was a set of pictures of a Jagdpanzer IV with a whole in the upper right front superstruture about 3x1 foot large. I mean, whatever hit it didn't just make a neat hole, that sucker was HUGE! Anyways, the French captured it and were actually driving it! and that is in a basically single compartment vehilce, where as the Tiger is a a little more divided up inside.

Steve

P.S. Sometimes I think the first shot is too accurate, then I miss 4 times in a row and realize that probability is simply working its magic wink.gif

Johnnymo,

I'm sorry to hear you admit to always lying. (Better luck next time buddy but my programmer, Charles, has equipped me to deal with such questions.... oops, said to much.. now I must kill you... ALL )

If you read this post please supply me with your location, a recent picture and preferred method of death.

Cheers,

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Madmatt

HEHEHEHEHE Yeah, but Fionn, will there be any bodies left when you are done with us!?! smile.gif

COULDN'T RESIST!!!!! wink.gif

Madmatt out....of his mind! redface.gif