Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

New file at the Repository: Caen Area - Juvigny to Fontenay - Map only (2013-04-28)

I designed this map to work alongside a specific board wargame:

Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, June 1944. It's in development and due for publication later this year by GMT Games. Scale is 389m per hex, 90 minutes per turn, and counters are companies and platoons.

As a playtester of that game I can say it has an excellent attention to detail and a scale that harmonizes pretty well with CMBN.

The boardgame map, by Antonio Pinar, is faithful to the actual terrain and a work of art in itself. My Juvigny-to-Fontenay CMBN map covers the area from the W mapedge to hex column xx08, inclusive; and N-S from hexrow xx08 to hexrow xx14, inclusive:

OpDfulllo-resboardgamemap_zpsaa53e6e0.jpg

You can see how the game terrain falls into 3 basic types: open fields, light bocage (the light green areas) and close terrain (the dark green heavy bocage, as well as woods and towns).

Note that large area of dark green (woods) halfway down the map on the left edge. Panzer Lehr controlled that area on 25 June --it gave them a great covered approach to funnel troops up to Juvigny bridge and threaten the 49th Division's right flank.

I played through the first 6 turns of the Campaign Game (a detailed log was posted here).

My CMBN map covers this area -- and here's the boardgame situation at the beginning of Turn 7/1300 hrs - (this is from the Zun Tzu module playtest version of the Op Dauntless game):

game_board_situation_begin_turn7_1300hrs_zps2f1e7383.jpg

This now becomes the 1300hrs CMBN scenario that I'm playing vs. sburke.

An AAR will come afterwards. If the scenario plays well I'll release it as a HTH.