Frustrated at a spotting issue!

I had an artillery mission ready to go...two batteries, one firing smoke the other artillery. when the leader gets hit. Now I have two batteries that I cannot use...they are stuck and this one casualty has completely changed the out come of this scenario leaving my batteries useless! I understand that a leader or spotter gets hit that is going to change things with the mission. There should be a way to have another leader take over the battery etc...this is very frustrating...so in real life another commander could not get on the radio and cancel the mission etc?????? This one casualty has completely changed the scenario!

I had an artillery mission ready to go...two batteries, one firing smoke the other artillery. when the leader gets hit. Now I have two batteries that I cannot use...they are stuck and this one casualty has completely changed the out come of this scenario leaving my batteries useless! I understand that a leader or spotter gets hit that is going to change things with the mission. There should be a way to have another leader take over the battery etc...this is very frustrating...so in real life another commander could not get on the radio and cancel the mission etc?????? This one casualty has completely changed the scenario!

This is a long standing issue. Your batteries should start their spotting process, and after several failures to get a response from their fire coordinator, cancel the mission. It used to be that if an observer was killed while a mission was being called, the battery concerned would just fire off all its shells as spotting rounds (or as many as the scenario length allowed), but that was supposed to have changed a couple of patches back. If you're running a current version (1.11 or 2.01, IIRC) and a battery is permanently Denied to all your other FOs that should be eligible to use it, then something is messed up and if you confirm that's the case, some kind BFC triage tester type might ask you for a save game, so don't throw away the old turns!