Pandora's Box and Scope Creep

BTS,

Just a friendly reminder that I'm sure you don't need, but......................

With the release of the demo not even a week ago Pandora's box has been opened in terms of suggestions pouring into this discussion area for changing this, adding that, etc., etc.

Please, please, please, try to remain focused on getting the game done. Features / fixes that are deemed truly necessary / worthy should certainly be considered, if not outright implemented. However, the evil temptation to start adding this, that, and the other because they all sound like such great ideas (and some of them certainly will be no doubt!) is going to come to the fore front now.

Anyway, just a friendly reminder to you, and a message to all the rest out there that if BTS keeps adding in every little thing that we all come up with that the game will never get released. wink.gif

Regards,

Mike D

aka Mikester

Guest Scott Clinton

Mike,

I agree with you to a certain extent. We all want to see CM relased ASAP.

But, I do not think 'scope creep' is an issue the customer should worry about (I know my 'customers' don't!)

We SHOULD IMHO make every effort to 'brain storm' as many good, pertinent ideas for improvement of CM (CM2, CM3, etc.) as possible.

IMHO, It is Big Time's job to limit pick and choose which go into the game and when. If 'scope creep' occurs on any software system there can only ONE place to lay the blame. The managers of the development team.

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

Guest John Maragoudakis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>ONE place to lay the blame.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Either them or who ever is bringing them bread and water smile.gif

Scott,

I'd pretty much agree with you. It is up to BTS to sort through things and decide what is best. What to put in, what to not, etc. However, it is also up to BTS to determine when to say,

"We're done adding new features, etc. to the game. The game configuration is now LOCKED DOWN. There will be no more additions to it. From here to release of the game in XX number of weeks we will simply be working on tweaking the AI, cleaning up the interface, and other minor adjustments prior to release."

As far as generating ideas and discussions goes that should go on here ad infinitum. That is what makes this board a great place and as a result of it will also make CM (and CM2, 3, etc.) a great game. But at some point BF has to say we are "done", and stop adding to / changing every last little thing in the game. And I think that time is quickly approaching, if not already just about here, regardless of how many more gems of greatness are proposed here on the board.

Also, those ideas that don't make it into the original release can be added in a supplementry patch, or just plain wait for CM2.

Regards,

Mike D

aka Mikester

[This message has been edited by Mike D (edited 11-02-99).]