Questions for Fionn (German) #5

Guest Big Time Software

Guest Big Time Software

The battle has entered its final phase. Fionn is making one last push to take at least part of the village. At turn 30 he is making good progress, but Martin is far from beat. This should be quite interesting smile.gif

Steve

Fionn,

Starting to have dreams about the game, eh?? And, uhm, just exactly what have you been smoking? wink.gif Actually, when I really get into an engrossing game the same thing happens to me. So I'll take this as a "good" sign of things to come. smile.gif

Mike D

aka Mikester

"A fools wisdom knows no bounds other than the infinite space between his ears."

Don't smoke (and never have) anything, not even nicotine wink.gif... (Seen too many lung cancer patients to be bothered doing that.)

It is pretty cool to realise you've dreamt about the game though.. Especially since they're nice "bombarding the hell out of Martin" type dreams wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

• 2 weeks later...

Are you out of arty now?

That arty really tore up Moon. Good call. Glad to see you back. What do you consider the three most important tactical lessons you have leared from this game?

[This message has been edited by Darstand (edited 10-01-99).]

1. Cityfighting is a brutal slog. Do NOT attempt anything fancy in a cityfight..

2. When defending don't ASSUME that your forces will be able to dash from one line of cover to the next with impunity. Concentrate on holding a certain area strongly. If you're outnumbered fancy collapsing lines of defence are a liability.

3. Co-ordinate forces. Do not send units into battle without their leaders. Units attacking without Command and Control are useless.

I'm out of arty as of now yes. So far I think I made many mistakes in this game due to unfamiliarity with large-scale battles like this BUT I think I've learnt a lot from them and have identified the faults and, in my handling of the movement from the wall line to the river and village, showed that I put those lessons into practice.

I've written a conclusion article going into this in more detail.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

I've only been able to check them since Friday evening ( my monitor vlew out last Sunday and I haven't been able to check since then).

I've answered most of the 500+ emails since then but I'm still working through the last few.. I'll be through with them by the end of the weekend.

As for arty:

I think its modelled very well actually. IF your arty lands in the vicinity of the enemy it is a killer. If it is unplotted arty then you're just wasting ammunition.

The variation in "killability" of the various rounds is well done also.. Don't forget that an artillery barrage which hits a concentration of men SHOULD be an absolutely devastating experience.

So, in short I've played around with a lot of artillery combinations and targets and found the arty to perform quite well with a nice variability too.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Guest Big Time Software

When you look at the casualties caused by all that artillery you can see what Fionn means. Martin fired about 80 mortar rounds at Fionn's souther force. For that he scored two hits on HTs. The other 78 rounds did nothing. But one single random round hit a HT in the center of the map and took it and a full squad out. Also, Fionn's Nebelwerfer barrage didn't really do much at all either. Looked cool though wink.gif

Steve

Guest Ssnake

Aaaaa !

FOW violation !

Don't read this section, Fionn!

Your Nebelwerfers performed GREAT !

------------------

PGP key ID: 0xBCD59BA1

I strongly recommend the use of encryption software for e-Mail contacts. Ensuring privacy makes people feel better :o)

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe... he knows better than to think that (also note I wasn't specific smile.gif) This is one of the cool things about CM. You have a pretty good guess as to the effect of things like artillery, provided you are near enough to observe the enemy's units. Most of the explosions didn't happen any where near Martin's forces, there were no buildings burned out, and since Martin's guys weren't running in the streets there were no easy kills to be had. But that Sherman is certainly not loving life, and Fionn does know that wink.gif

Steve