Some Suggestions

I feel with solo play on the computer, maybe it would better to have the game engine running continously, and then being able to pause the game any time to update orders etc. While PBem would be as you had planned. tHis continously running game system was something I really enjoyed on games by SSG on my amiga/c-64 like Operation Crusade and its D-day brother. It allows a freely flowing game when not much is happening, and uses the lower level AI more. You just tell a unit to go there, and leave it up to the subordinates to figure how to do it as in real life smile.gif

Also a computer vs computer mode would be nice as well, as I tend to enjoy watching battles unfold as much as I do playing them! And with 3d reproduction, the enjoyment will triple!

Earlier I commented on you animations etc, I think darker shadows on every object will help in this regard. Are you familiar with a game called Gran Turismo on the Playstation. This game did to driving games what I hope your game will do to Computer Wargames; it feature the most realistic physics, and replay mode ever made - one key feature of this was the uncanny ability to create a believably image of cars zooming around the track by the smart use of dark shadows that elimated that floating on the road look.

My 5 cents

CCJ

My understanding of the CM engine is that it depends on calculating the results of a combat turn first, then displaying it. In other words, it sits down and decided just what the heck happens in the next minute, and then it gets around to the work of actually displaying it. This keeps them from having to compromise between cpu cycles given to realistic execution or flashy graphics. But it should also prevent any continuous run.. though I imagine with a good cpu the pauses would be minimized. I'm sure Charles or Steve would know better though.

Chris

Guest John Maragoudakis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>maybe it would better to have the game engine running continously, and then being able to pause the game any time to update orders etc<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This has already been considered. If I remember correctly, the philosephy behind not allowing you to pause any time you want, is that this forces you to plan ahead, to think in the future. I understand that CM wants to place the player in a realistic control position. In other words, you can't have instant control of a unit. The ability to know where all your units are already gives you alot of control. Having the ability to instantly give orders to any unit would be too unrealistic, *cough*, close combat.

Guest Big Time Software

Even if we wanted to make a "realtime" game out of CM, we can't. Well we could, but we would have to toss out pretty much the whole game and start from scratch. A major change like that can not be hacked in. Plus, we don't want to to be realtime, which is why we made it turn based smile.gif

Steve