UNIT Names

Will their be an ability to change unit names in any battle? Its not for roleplaying, its just that I prefer to name units to something that I can relate to, and allow me to identify them in my plans - ie rename my 2 King Tiger units, BLITZ Force A and BLITZ force B smile.gif if they are Elite units, so I know instantly which is which, and what experience level they are.

CCJ

CoolColJ,

This was disucussed at great length in the past and if I recall correctly the answer was a resounding NO (try searching back through the old threads). Primary reason BTS is not including it being that it doesn't have any "long" campaigns where you would keep the same units from battle to battle ala Close Combat series. Therefore, no need to have capability to rename units. Which is more or less along the lines of what you've referred to as role playing. For this and other reasons I know BTS decided to not allow renaming of units by the players In any event, I imagine it is getting way too late in the development of the game to add renaming units back into the equation. Or many / most other changes either for that matter.

Mike D

aka Mikester

Guest Big Time Software

There are no force-wide names in CM, just unit names. You can't change them during the battle, but you can change them in the scenario editor.

Charles

Guest Big Time Software

hehe... actually Mike, Charles slipped it in a while ago smile.gif Originally we didn't like the idea of spending time on it, but it was brought up that historical scenarios really should have personalized names. I mean, if you are playing the role of Wittman at Villers Bocage, would you be happy manning a tank commanded my Haupt. Schmidt? No, I didn't think you would be smile.gif

But you are still correct about the campaign thing. There is no army file saved out to be reimported into another scenario and/or campaign. You can change names, but it is pretty tedious stuff. You would only want to do this for exceptional historical units, not for the run of the mill.

Steve