Windows 8

Thank you Paul.

It's looking like:

Intel® Core™ i7 3610QM Processor 2.3GHz

Chipset Intel® Chief River Chipset HM76

Memory 12GB DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM

Graphic Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 4000

at the moment.

I don't want to loose the start button either, but there appears to be some interesting stuff coming up in their apps.

Stephen

Thanks again.

That's interesting. I have another option:

CPU Intel® Core i7 3610QM 2.3Ghz (Turbo 3.3G)/6M

Chipset Mobile Intel HM76 Express Chipset

Memory 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM (1333 MHz)

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M 2GB GDDR3

Less memory and more expensive. Also I'm not sure about the difference between the Chief River and the Express Chipset; not even sure that they are actually different.

Thanks again.

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M 2GB GDDR3

The 610M is a entry level dedicated laptop graphics card, far best to search for something like a GT 630 (a rebrand of the GT 540) or a Radeon HD 7670M. I bought two weeks ago a Toshiba L850-1PD and it runs very well CMSF, CMBN and CMFI.

Did you have trouble removing Norton from the Toshiba? I crossed them off my list when I noticed they are all listed as coming with it. It took me hours to completely un-install Nortons last time they did nasty things to one of my computers.

The best I can afford for this is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M with 2GB DDR3 VRAM. But that comes at the expense of RAM, I only have a few hundred dollars to spend, it's a second computer.

Shock Force runs great on my desktop and it has a GT 240.

Have to see if I can weddle a better budget.

Did you have trouble removing Norton from the Toshiba? I crossed them off my list when I noticed they are all listed as coming with it. It took me hours to completely un-install Nortons last time they did nasty things to one of my computers.

Fortunately, it have preinstalled McAfee, not Norton, so the uninstall was quick and easy.

• 2 weeks later...

I did manage a slightly bigger budget for the laptop. It came with McAfee, which I uninstalled relatively easily.

Shock Force runs great, I have only played a brief game so far.

Windows 8 wanted to use the integrated graphics rather than the card. It took me a couple of setting changes, but I think I have persuaded it to use the card.

Still getting used to windows 8 and the apps. I'm sure there are some really interesting ones, but I'm stuck with flicking though. I can't find a search function in the app shop.

Now I can take Shock Force on the road!

Stephen