Quick answer for a quick question

Guest Madmatt

Well, if you mean is Friendly Fire modeled then YES it is. Here is a little story for ya to help illustarte my point.

I was playing Germans in Last Defense and was kicking booty (as always wink.gif) when I got a little careless with a StuG and HQ team. My company commander was hitching a ride on the back deck of the StuG as it advanced up the main road into the new abandoned town. My Tiger was hanging back a bit and lobbing the random HE round or two and just generaly having fun with bow and coax MG fire. Well to my amusment (I am morbid you know! biggrin.gif) I watched as the Tigers machineguns started to track a hapless American unit as they rose up from a foxhole and started to run back toward England. Well this amusement quickly turned to Horror as I watched as the StuG, oblivious to the Tigers MG fire, drove right through a particulary long burst of tracer fire. I heard the sound of mutiple tiny richochets and heard the sickening screams of death as the HQ unit riding along was decimated. In a split second all but one man was dead from the HQ unit and they broke for cover while the StuG continued on, itself having taken no damage whatsoever except for the engine intakes now clogged with blood!

So if you were wondering if you could just 'shoot through' your own enemy units than the answer is YES.

Would you want to? umm well I'll let you decide on that one...5 of 6 guys killed in an instant!

Madmatt out...

p.s. to see some other Dynamic Friendly Fire in action, go to:

combathq.thegamers.net

We have a shot of a British unit being MIS-identified and fired upon by its own side!

IIRC, Steve said that friendly fire could only occur at night (as in the UK eg.). Has this changed in the last week or two?

Jon

------------------

Quo Fas et Vino du Femme

Here's my understanding at the moment.

1. If a squad or infantry or tank gets in between an MG team and its target then YES the MG stream can cause casualties.

2. I've seen numerous cases of an infantry squad firing at an enemy squad which is within metres of another enemy squad or platoon HQ and having BOTH enemy squads take casualties from the same burst of fire. So I think you can kill enemies in the line of fire also.

3. It is NOT possible to suffer mistaken friendly fire by walking through the stream of a friendly rifle squad's fire. You can only be killed by friendly MG streams since it's assumed a rifleman would simply hold fire as his buddies crossed his sights while an MG might be committed and with so much lead might kill a few before it noticed.

4. At night, in fog or other bad weather it IS possible for units to misidentify friendly units and open fire on them. I have seen two british platoons open fire on eachother at night while I sat in my nice defensive emplacements looking at a nice firefight developing wink.gif. It was pretty damned funny to watch too wink.gif

So basically, if you step into a friendly MG stream you can take friendly fire casualties. Stepping into a rifle squads firelane won't result in casualties. Stepping into the fire lanes of enemy units means that EACH UNIT their fire passes through or near to CAN take casualties from that fire.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

Correct. The problem with tracking every shot fired is LOS calculations. We found that the number of MGs firing at any one time were slight, so we could get away with doing the tracking for them. But every squad in a company or (shudder) battalion sized battle? Ouch!

Steve