Waypoints

Guest John Maragoudakis

Guest John Maragoudakis

If a unit that has a long list of waypoints comes under fire, will it remember the waypoints? Say the unit goes to ground as the result of the incoming fire. If you leave the unit alone, will it try to finish the waypoints? You would probably want to change plans at the next orders phase. If you didn't, will the unit attempt the rest of the waypoints?

Guest Big Time Software

Waypoints will only be "forgotten" when one of three conditions are met:

1. Unit completes a particular waypoint

2. Unit Panics or Breaks

3. Unit decides the player's orders are no longer in its best interests.

The first two are obvious, the third could use a bit of explaining. If a vhehicle tries to go down a road and finds that it is blocked, it will try to get around and continue onto the assigned destination. But if a vehicle goes into an open field and gets shot at enough, it might go someplace else and give up on your orders. Infantry behaves the same way when it encounters a blockage (like a cliff or a river) or is shot up too badly.

In any case, the next Orders Phase you can reissue orders to any unit, except one that is Broken. I'm pretty sure you can order a Panicked unit, but that it will only follow your orders if it happens to "snap out of it". I'd have to go double check on that to be sure though...

Steve

Guest John Maragoudakis

Good, I was afraid that a unit left alone by mistake would attempt over and over to follow waypoints next turn until it died. I'm glad that it will hunker down until I can issue new orders.

Guest Big Time Software

Yes, I actually didn't mention your point specifically, so I will do so now. A unit can hold itself up without losing its orders. Say a rifle squad is running through the woods and takes some enemy fire, enough so that it hits the dirt. The unit will not forget its mission, only hold off on trying to carry it out until it feels it is safe to keep moving. This might mean changing your "Run" order to "Crawl", but the waypoints will remain intact. However, if the unit get whacked too hard, or too long, it might very well give up on your orders and go and do something else, like stay put in Panic or run away Broken.

Steve

Guest John Maragoudakis

Nice balance. Good to know my boys are stealthy and obidient. Will there be any notice that a unit has decided to disregard it's waypoints or will we have to access the unit to see the change of plans.

Guest Big Time Software

Actually, there is no direct feedback at all. However, it is pretty obvious. You see a unit running in an odd direction, you click on him, it is "Panicked", and there you go. Or a tank you ordered to advance is seen backing up. You click on it and find out that a much bigger tank is shooting at it. During your next Orders Phase similar feedback is available.

When the TacAI was first put in I requested that some sort of UI change be made to alert the user that a unit was making its own decisions. Then, after playing the game some more, I found that I really didn't need the extra UI. We'll see if the Beta folks have the same opinion.

Steve

Steve,

You mentioned in the example above that when you clicked on the panicked tank that there would be some indication of some bigger tank shooting at it. What will this message look like? Will it simply be words to that effect? Will we see something like a red line(s), or other indicator, showing the the threat vector from which the fire came? Just curious.

Mike D

aka Mikester

Guest Big Time Software

When you click on a unit (in either Orders or Resolution Phases) you get to see out going and incoming fire. This is done by drawing a red line to your target (outgoing) and yellow lines to enemy units firing at you (incoming). You only get an incoming line if the unit shooting at you has been spotted and isn't offboard artillery. When you visually trace the line back to its souce you will see what is shooting at you, which clears up any questions you might have smile.gif

Steve