Fire discipline

I have a question that came about from a PBEM I'm playing against a certain Fionn fellow. I had two bazooka units, both 'regular', both hidden, both with HQ units close by. With both of them, they stood up to fire at a StuG that was over 160 meters away. Needless to say, after firing a total of seven or eight shots, the StuG is still doing just fine.

What governs when a unit will pop up out of hiding? What governs when a bazooka or panzerschreck will try to fire at an AFV? My one bazooka couldn't even hit the StuG when it was stationary, 90 meters away, and fully showing its side armor, so having it open up when the StuG was 180 meters away seems pretty foolish. I know there are a lot of variables involved, so if you could just give me a rough idea, I'd appreciate it.

Thorsten

Guest Scott Clinton

I think it is a % chance to hit or kill. I don't think BTS has related (or will ever relate) the exact %.

You should have used ambush markers. I use them quite a bit just to keep my men from firing at all! Then when I want to I manually target that AFV at 50m wink.gif

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 11-04-99).]

Actually you can find out the % chance to hit using the LOS or Target commands. Odds of a kill, too, though not as a % (Good, Excellent, Low, etc.). Note - this following is just my observation and could be wrong. Also, it seems that this does not really represent the chance for _that specific_ team... more a generic team. It seems that generally they'll either miss 5 or 6 in a row or brew up 3 vehicles in 4 shots (see "Great Moments" thread). Hmm, think I'll do some statistical analyses and see.

P.S. Just shot an 88 at a Sherman in Riesberg. Target showed a "richochet" simulaneously with the Sherman right next to it showing "side penetration" and in flames! I couldn't figure out what was going on until, after replaying the turn several times, I caught the richochet in flight _between_ the tanks! It richocheted off one tank and killed its compatriot - I LOVE all the little details in this game. Three thousand cheers for BTS!!!

First let me say that you are nuts playing PBEM against Fionn in a scenario where he has so much info about your force and the arrival time of the reinforcements! My assessment of the LD scenario is that the US definitely needs some more bazooka teams (probably 3). If a battalion headquarters were under attack you would think they could rustle up a few clerks and give them a zook (they'd be green of course) and a regular US unit by late normandy would probably have 2 teams per platoon anyway (historical reality rather than official organisation). In fact I'll have a 57mm AT gun, 4 more zook teams (2 green) and an 80mm mortar at the start instead of those M18s which turn the battle into a fait accompli either way.

Now that I have stopped foaming at the mouth I'll get back to the original point of this thread. Scott is right- the ambush markers are very useful for imposing fire discipline. I find however that deployment is even more important. If you place your teams carefully you can position them that their LOS is restricted so that they cannot fire-this applies equally to green units.

I still had to learn the nuances of ambush markers when I started this game (as well as many other things) so they did not get used. As for playing a PBEM against Fionn in a scenario that he is familiar with, well... I remember once playing a game of chess against a friend of mine who was a competitive player and had won several tournaments. He said that there was little chance of me winning, but my point in playing should be to simply learn some things about the game from him.

Thorsten

So can anyone from BTS answer my original question?

Guest Big Time Software

No need, I actually managed to dig down this far in the BBS to have seen it for myself smile.gif

Yes, units pop up when they think they have a decent chance of getting a hit. This is also tempered by their ammo. Lots of ammo, more likely. Being shot at also tends to unhide units.

We have already tweaked Hide to be stronger than it currently is. Guys are popping up too frequently at ranges that are too great.

Steve