I should have asked this question earlier, but I was having trouble with my computer and couldnt' post at the time.

In an earlier thread, there was a big discussion about what types of campaigns to include. BTS will include linked campaigns that actually break down one day or two long battle into say six individual scenarios, with frontline positions moving along a larger map (for example 1 Km by 8 Km) as each scenario progresses. This was contrasted with the alternative, where one scenario takes place in Normandy, the next in Holland, the next at the Bulge, etc.

I support this philosophy, and the argument behind it expressed by BTS. But my question was, if the campaign is simply one large map broken into six smaller sections (for example), with the front lines from the second scenario defined by the end locations from the first scenario, and units strengths the same, then why bother having campaigns at all? Why not just have one big scenario? In the above example, we could have six 30 turn scenarios taking place on a subsection (say 1 Km by 1.5 KM) of a 1 Km by 8 Km map, with the ultimate goal of capturing a bridge at the end of the map. OR, we could have one 180 turn scenario on the entire 1 KM by 8 Km map, which, as far as I can tell, would be the same thing.

What happens BETWEEN scenarios in a campaign that will make it a campaign? It seems to me that the only reason to do something like this would be to simulate things like fatigue, resupply, etc (a soldier may fight for 30 turns, then need rest-so fighting for 180 turns is unrealistic). But are you simulating fatigue and supply in CM? If not, what purpose does the break between scenarios serve? (also: while a 180 turn scenario would be unwieldy, it is really what a six scenario campaign is anyway-and I presume we can save anytime we want, so 'wieldiness' is not a justification for the campaigns, either).

For the campaigns to be at all meaningful, it seems to me that they have to add something more than just a string of scenarios. What is that something?

steve

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>What happens BETWEEN scenarios in a campaign that will make it a campaign?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lots!

1. Weather can change

2. Time of day can change (dawn, day, night)

3. You can reposition your units somewhat, especially at night (like to mass for a counterattack)

4. Reinforcements arrive

5. Knocked-out tanks can be recovered (and will arrive a few battles later as reinforcements)

6. Resupply of ammunition (except to units that are cut off behind enemy lines)

7. Some casualties return to their units (ones who were not seriously hurt)

8. Units rest

Charles