cm vrs asl

Well im playing a pbem game (against wingnut),apart from fog of war which a board game cant simulate unless its a very cumbersome way,and no piles of rules to wade through, as i got abit lost remembering all the phases in asl.CM takes care of all that stuff and gives u all the bangs and yell's in a really realistic way.Id say it translates ASL into the commputer age in a much better form.Also its going to give us campaign and a unlimited number of opponents,were as ASL was very hard to find one for the afternoon.

I like ASL though never have the time to play as much as I would like (I did do a full red barricades campaign game once, the height of my wargaming career). I think CM is the closest thing you'r ever going to see to ASL on computer not that they can realy be compared in anything other than teh most broad terms.

Los

Guest Scott Clinton

CM is a VAST improvement over ASL. It does things only dreamed about in ASL. It's not a perfect simulation but it is a LOT closer than ASL...and it was the best board game in this scale IMHO.

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

Guest L Tankersley

As far as a simulation of WWII warfare goes, CM is a bit improvement over ASL. I don't know that I'd say CM is a better _game_ than ASL (not yet, anyway) - they are very hard to compare, it's like comparing chess and baseball.

Leland J. Tankersley

I think CM is what ASL might have liked to have been if the technology existed at the time!

But it looks like CM is gonna be able to handle armor a lot better than ASL. To be fair, ASL was designed as an infantry game with armor in a supporting role. But tank duels in ASL always played out hokey, mainly due to the time/distance scale and the igo/ugo turns. Vehicles in CM are gonna be a LOT more fun!

One thing I thought ASL did well was to inject a lot of chaos into the battle - pretty important in for a tactical wargame, IMHO. CM will probably do a lot of this too, but it may be a little less visible, since the computer does all the "die-rolling". smile.gif Plus, the wonderfully thick fog of war in CM will no doubt add a new level.

But I also hope that all the discussion of retargetting issues doesn't end up making the units respond too perfectly to orders. Units that might respond somewhat imperfectly is another nice additon to "chaos", IMHO.

Mark