Sound and listening posts

The discussion on LOS has started me wondering about how sound works in the game from an intel-gathering POV.

How will CM determine when you can hear an enemy unit?

How will it factor in range, number of units and effects of terrain, if at all?

I know you have stereo in the sound design; - do you expect that players will be able to determine bearing to enemy units from this?

I'm not sure how volume works with the 3D engine (calculated from camera viewpoint?). Will players be able to estimate range by sound, or will it be represented visually? Both/neither?

In addition to Brian's question(s) which seem to focus on what the player can gleen from sound information I'm interested in the following:

What can the actual units in the game gain from hearing something (tanks approaching from behind a hill, etc.) in terms of "spotting", or helping to spot / determine where and what an enemy unit is? Can a unit improve its level of spotting say by one icrement if it has some sound information in addition to some sketchy visual indications of an enemy. Say for example a unit has a poor visual sighting of a moving (or non-moving engine just idling) enemy vehicle. Could be a truck, or might be a King Tiger. Will they be able to tell it is a tank and not one of the field kitchens lunch wagons?

Mike D

aka Mikester