Rivers / Weather / Multiplay / etc :)

Guest KwazyDog

Guest KwazyDog

Hi guys,

This game is looking great, and Ive already placed my order, which is a first for me, as I have ordered over the net before: smile.gif I have a couple of quick questions hopefully someone can answer for me. Sorry if theyve been asked before, Im just curious smile.gif

A) Are engineering units in the game, and how are they handled.

B) Are rivers modeled in the game (I think they are), and can bridges be taken out, damaged, etc. Also, how is building damage handled? Can these be damaged by both engineers as well as ground and air bombardment?

C) How are weather effects handled? Can it snow smile.gif ? I not so much talking visually, I mean what difference does it make to combat, etc.

D) Multiplay. I havnt seen to much info mentioned on this. I was just wondering if on a LAN game for instance, wether you can both give orders at the same time, then lock them in and wait for the slower play to complete. Do you watch the playback at the same time, or is it taken in turns? Also, is there a facility where by at the beginning of a Multiplay game each player can 'purchase' their units, depending on available points, etc.

Hmm, I think that about covers it smile.gif Thanks for any info. Cant wait to play the game!

PS : Does anyone remember a game called Panzer Strike on the C64? smile.gif Its the first game I can remember that had simultaneous turn resolution. Hehe, it was damn good for the time ! smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks for the order and show of faith!

A) Yes, engineering units in the game. They are basically bad ass infantry with satchel charges wink.gif I forget what the TO&E is for an engineer platoon, but they carry some firepower IIRC. Flamethrowers are separate teams.

B) Rivers are modeled, as are frozen rivers. We have fords, stone bridges, and wooden bridges. They can be taken out or damaged through heavy shell fire and bombs, though the stone bridges take a lot of abuse. Buildings can be damaged as well by the same methods. Satchel charges can do damage to both bridges and buildings.

C) Weather effects mess with visibility and mobility. These in turn affect other things, such as physical state and the chance of a vehicle bogging down. In fact, I just had a Panther and a Jagdpanther get bogged down in Deep Snow. The Panther managed to get itself out of the pickle, but the Jagdpanther threw a track while trying to get out.

We aren't sure how much of this stuff we can show graphically, but the game effects are there for such things as snow, mud, rain, and fog.

D) Multiplayer LAN/Internet will be simultaneous with optional timer. Both will watch movies at the same time. You can also do Design Your Own scenarios multiplayer as well, which allows you to "buy" units to fight against either a human or AI.

Steve

Guest KwazyDog

Thanks for the info Steve. Damn, it looks like you getting it all in there, which is awesome. smile.gif

One last question. How about mines, are there different types? Also, can you place then yourself, or are the place at scenerio design time.

Thanks again for any info smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

We're certainly TRYING to get it all in there wink.gif Cool thing is that nearly everything you asked about is already in and working. I should be getting the DYO scenario build tomorrow too!

Yes to mines. There are three different types; Anti-Pers, Anti-Tank, and Anti-Tank hasty (this last one is for paved surfaces mostly). You are free to place them where you want within their assigned setup zone.

Steve

I know I am preaching to the converted here but please do not worry about the graphics showing a tank throw a tread etc... a simple message that a tank threw a tread is all I need.. if the simulation is modelled accurately(within the constraints of a game) then that is all I care about... I can get all the graphics in every other crappy war game on the market...

John

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks Gatsby. Actually, when you throw a track we only list the vehicle as "immobilized". That is because it could be a thrown track, a broken roadwheel, or a busted axle (all these things can happen in deep snow). Because of the hundreds of things that can go wrong on a tank, we need to keep it simple. In game terms, it doesn't matter which of these things happened, since the important element (as you suggest) is that the tank is not going anywhere wink.gif But I personally always like to imagine thrown tracks when I see a vehicle immobilize itself.

steve

• 5 months later...

Behold, mortals! For this is the best game you will ever see!

I hadn't noticed this thread before. And I enjoyed every detail you told us about, Steve. Mines should be cool, and though I can't quite find an use for engineers in the battle depht CombatMission offers, the idea of blowing a bridge makes me happy! Will there be bridge blowing missions, or it's just a way of bugging people out? In any case, airstrikes seem to be the best way of doing the job. I would love to see many missions featuring airstrikes. Could you please tell me about them in detail?

Thanks steve, you guys at BTS are wonderful. I'm already a happy pre-orderer (hey, I also ordered Achtung!Spitfire yesterday, when will I get it in Spain?)

:¬)

------------------

Regards

Reverendo

OH I GOT a Question for ya Steve

I noticed the awesome new urban screen shots - I was wondering will eventually you partition the larger buildings into rooms ?

Also A guy was mentioning city fighting wouldnt be good for this game _ I DISAGREED emphatically :) BUt he did say that there could be no roof tops and building to builing movement VIA the rooftops I responded by saying that the roof could be treated as another floor and a larger building modeled where they could join through regular terain squares - was I on the right Track?

thanks

SS_PanzerLeader.out

One thing I'm curious about for you Beta testers is if it's possible to simulate a larger complex or factory using collections of buildings. E.g., I want to put a monastery on top of a hill. Can I put a ring of stone buildings around it that serve basically like one walled complex? Can units fight from one building to the next as if they were one contiguous building?

Dar

Units can't pass through interior walls of two conjoined buildings so I don't think you could do what you want.

Why not just use WALL terrain though to simulate the wall ?

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

I would prefer to use buildings instead of walls (especially the short walls) to simulate a larger building with wings, like an abbey or monastery. Alas, I guess I'll have to wait for CMII -- I explect we'll have more complex buildings then or how else are we going to simulate the battle for the Tractor Factory?

Dar