Map contours

I am having trouble making a map with smooth contours. I tried making it with decreasing and increasing contour lines. but the outcome is not smooth without a whole lot of micro managing of the elevation. Like take an elevation of 50 and as it decreases to 20 it is convex. Anybody else having this problem? Any body have any hints? Thanx in advance for any help. Maybe some thing I am doing wrong.

Never had this problem, but here's how I handle contours.

1. Pick a sensible contour interval, like 5m. Don't try to get too finer than that.

2. Find your highest and lowest point on the map. Lock those two elevations.

3. Make your contour lines as dotted lines ( not solid lines!) using as few dots as possible -- I generally add a dot only when a line changes direction.

That's it. Usually problems happen if I try to specify too much -- the height editor is very smart and it works best when you let it create the terrain as much as possible.