Hey! The Search function really works!

Ha ha. Actually, I have used it to great success before, but I feel all warm and fuzzy because I had two questions directly answered by a simple search. However, this is not so easy...

Regarding the tactical AI, if you have a column of unbuttoned tanks moving down the road (or grass, whatever) and the first one hits a mine field, say at the 13th second, will the others respond to this new threat? How? Will they stop, turn, or just keep going? Finally, will being "buttoned" change any of the above answers?

Thanks in advance (feels just like old times, sniff)

Jonathan

------------------

For the last time, you don't need antibiotics!

They will react to this. They will swerve around the knocked out tank and try to "go around" the minefield.

If the opponent has more mines set up on each side of the road then they'll suffer another casualty or two and then simply stop trying to get around it that turn...

Of course their reaction can differ if they are under fire or poor quality etc. It realy is impossible to say exactly what will happen. In a scenario I just tested for another beta tester today I had 1 platoon of GIs standing up to a company of Germans who simply ran right into my platoon. 3 minutes after that fight started I had half a platoon of GIs facing about 30 or so German survivors. We were holed up in the ONLY two houses near the wheatfield firing madly at eachother.. We had started out about 40 metres or so away from the houses but both the Germans and I had shifted our men a little towards the houses each turn as we looked for more cover. (The Germans were commanded by the AI BTW).

Anyways, I sent one platoon to help out which ran right into the sights of an HMG at a range of about 700 metres (I had Germans on my flank too and this HMG was firing from my flank as the platoon advanced towards the platoon in contact)... Anyways, this platoon took only 1 casualty from this fire but TWO entire squads turned tail and ran back into the nearby woods for cover.

This 2nd platoon was, nominally, as good as the first BUT when it came to standing up under fire it simply didn't do as well as the first platoon (which had faced off to and destroyed 2 HMG42s accompanying the German company).

My point is that the 2nd platoon had lighter incoming fire than the first platoon but broke sooner. On the other hand when the 1st platoon finally broke (after another German company appeared on its flank and charged it) it got anihilated whilst the 2nd platoon maintained order well (probably this was because the 1st platoon got pinned within 20 metres of a platoon of onrushing Germans frown.gif ).

Anyways the thing is that in CM a unit can behave in a vast myriad of realistic ways. Some would gain it the CMOH, others would get it shot for cowardice. You never know exactly what will happen until you see the movie.

FWIW the 2nd platoon suffered from grazing fire. The 2 squads which broke were NOT the squads the HMG42 was firing at. The squad it was firing at took 1 casualty but didn't break. The other 2 broke and ran for cover.

So, I'd love to give you an "if A happens then B happens also" but I can't.

I will say that I've seen a tank platoon running into a minefield, trying to go around and suffering more casualties until all the tanks were immobilised ( the minefield was about 120 metres wide hehe wink.gif ). I've also seen a platoon which hit a mine halt in place, dismount infantry from HTs, send them forward, spot the gaps in the minefield and push the tanks through those gaps (just like a smart human player would do).

So, like I said, I've seen the AI and TacAI run the gamut from trying to push through the minefield and trusting to luck to halting in place and trying another route entirely 500 or 600 metres away to sending infantry forward to spot gaps, sending the tanks through and then continuing the attack once everyone remounted.

The AI in the beta demo isn't nearly as good as the AI is now IMO. It still might do some stupid things but it is much better at keeping units together and today when I got a lot of playing in I didn't see a single HQ-led charge at all.

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

[This message has been edited by Fionn (edited 12-29-99).]