Hoping for an Oxford degree

I am afraid arguments like you are "only young once", "everyone does", "enjoy it before you get to the real world" don't cut any ice whatsoever with me

No, but apparently anecdotes do, so you've got that.

Well, since the medical professionals like the education professionals have every interest in making access their services as wide and expensive as possible, I don't think we should hold our breath waiting for things to get better. It's the same in both industries; the professionals are squeezing maximum income out of the rest of the population for their services which, for generations, the population has been told are non-optional services; one must have the best possible.

If I was a college kid these days I would party my ass off and skip on my loans, because I would be pretty damn sure whatever degree I could get, my chances of that degree giving me a stable income and a reasonable chance of supporting a family and making sure my own kids had a decent future, were pretty close to shot. There may be people that still believe in the American dream but I don't think very many of them go to university these days.