Critical Hits

Since I let the cat out of the bag, vis-a vis the Jumbo, I've been wondering about the nature of critical hits within the game system.

The notion of the one-in-a-hundred shot/hit must of course be allowed for, because there are many documented cases of such events and it allows for some 'david and goliath' stuff.

Does this, however, apply to all weapons systems? In other words does a unit firing a rifle or pistol at an AFV have the same 1% chance for a critcal, as an AT weapon?

I am comfortable with the notion of the AT weapon but not the pistol. That is more like a million to one chance. Also it could lead to unrealistic tactics with infantry 'potting' tanks hoping for that lucky shot (I'm not talking about hitting exposed crew, rather a critical against the vehicle itslf).

As a rider to that question,is there facility fot infantry to close assault AFV's using grenades, mines etc. and will that be shown graphically.

PS

please let us see turn 12 soon - VERY SOON

Cheers

Jim Crowley

I think Charles said that the 1 in a hundred chance just reduces the armor thickness in the penetration calculation by a percentage. So, I guess theoretically, this applies to all weapons, but even if a tanks armor is reduced 50%, chances are MG's are not going to go through it. As he described it, it's not a 1 in a 100 chance of an automatic kill, just 1 in 100 chance of deeper then normal penetration for the weapon. So I don't think we're going to be seeing Stuarts knocking of King Tigers all over the place...

Reminds me of the story I read in John Toland's "Battle:The Story of the Bulge" where a King Tiger *rammed* a Stuart in a close range encounter (may have been at night). The Stuart flipped over and brewed up--the commander did survive and related the story to the author.

Yeah, I don't think we should be seeing too many Stuarts beating up King Tigers either!

Dar Steckelberg

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Jim, I think Ben is correct. That is the way I understand it too. I know that Charles dosen't want an angry Tommy or Doughboy taking out a Mause with angry words smile.gif

Dar, cool story. I have seen Stuarts (driving and firing too!) and King Tigers in real life. I can safely say that the Stuart would be very sorry to be rammed smile.gif

Steve

The thing about stopping tanks with pistols brought to my mind one occurrence where a tank was stopped with rifle fire (and it also nicely crosses over with the "tank crew" thread).

During December '39 at Taipale (Terenttilä section) there was a major blunder with Finnish command-and-control and a section of front between two batallions was left unmanned. When a Finnish rifle squad happened to walk through the area they noticed that from the other side of a field emerged a Soviet T-26 followed by a platoon of infantry.

At that time Finns were quite worried since the heaviest weapons they had were some hand grenades and IIRC they didn't have even any automatic weapons. They started shooting anyhow, but couldn't inflict much damage to the attackers. They were just about to start withdrawing when the tank suddenly stopped, its turret hatch was thrown open, and the commander and the gunner bailed out, running to the cower of the forest. Without their tank support the Soviet infantrymen also retreated.

At that point the Finns were quite puzzled, but when they went to investigate the tank they found out that one rifle round had went through a vision slot and killed the driver. The rest of the crew had panicked at that point and bailed out. The Finnish squad leader then said that he had thought that he saw a pair of eyes momentarily in the slot and then aimed at them. (The sergeant in question had been a member of "Protection Guard" for about 10 years and had won their regional sharpshooting contents a couple of times).

I can't be completely sure whether the driver in question was buttoned up or not, since the original story that I read didn't specify it. However, I think that the driver's hatch was closed since in T-26 tanks the hatch was in the front armor (and the vision slot was in the middle of this hatch) and if it was open the whole head and shoulders of the driver were clearly exposed, so that everyone could immedietedly have seen what had happened.

-Tommi