Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Squad Leader Rank

I have a quick question for all you WWII historians out there. What NCO rank was carried by an enlisted man in charge of a US infantry Squad in 1944?

Pre 1942 I believe a Sgt ran a squad assisted by a Cpl and a S/Sgt was the Platoon Sgt assisting to officer.

After 1942 following a reorganisation most NCO ranks were upgraded by one rank, a SSgt now taking over a squad with a Sgt as 2ic.The Platoon Sgt was now a Tech Sgt.

I have two slightly changed US rank icons labelled pre and post 1942 but I'm at a loss which one to use.

Any help or info will be greatly appreciated.

I have read conflicting reports of when the upgrade of the Squad Leader to S/Sgt. and the Asst. Squad Leader to Sgt. actually happened. Most sources I have read suggest that this change was at least officially completed by mid-1944.

Complicating the issue is that there may be substantial differences between when the paper TOEs officially instituted the rank changes, and when they were actually implemented by combat units. The Army didn't just wave a wand and promote all Squad Leaders to S/Sgt. en masse.

And then, of course, once a unit entered combat there were casualties, and Corporals and even Pfcs. sometimes ended up leading squads. This further obscures what was supposed to be "standard practice" at any given time.

i can tell you one thing though. some of those guys went up in rank quick. one guy i worked with joined sometime in 42 and in less than 2 years he was a 1st sgt. i know it was true because he brought his records to work one day. dad also joined in late 42 and said he was a 1st sgt by the end of the war. then lost 3 stripes after the war. that wasn't a disciplinary action, he said everybody lost 3 stripes. lol..