Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Defensive battles

Hi lads

Im just in the middle of 'the mace' and Im loving every minute. I had been reading about the hill 262 battle on wiki and thought "hmmm I bet theres a scenario for this in CMBN."

I really enjoy these big battalion+ sized historical defensive battles where commonwealth forces are hammered by wave after wave of german combined arms assaults, my other favourite being 'breaking the panzers'.

Just wondering what tactics people use in this style of battle and if anyone knows what the british doctrine of the time was, main issues being:

Hold fire or let em have it?

Is it worth staying hidden until the huns get real close then have a whole company open up at once? Its not something I have been doing a lot but seems like a good idea because It denies enemy FO's the chance to soften me up before the infantry come, but on the other hand a german is a pretty dangerous foe when he gets within arms reach...

Occupy forward positions or stay back?

Im usually tempted to deploy a whole company in their forward foxholes but they tend to get pretty pasted by the inevitable stonk. Is it better to just put a few spotters in the line until the enemy get close, before moving up the rest of the men? Sometimes I keep 3 man bren teams forward and have the rest of the men come up to patch em up and take over the guns when they get hit.

AT guns-keyhole or wide field of fire?

Obviously AT guns are very effective in the keyhole role but its kinda putting all my eggs in one basket and tends to leave the enemy undefended avenues of attack. In wide field of fire positions they tend to suffer to small arms a lot.

Also is it worth keeping most of my 6 pdrs limbered so they can be rushed to hotspots and also avoid being stonked early on.

Vickers guns-Foxholes or buildings?

I am often tempted to put my MG's in tall buildings to get a good field of fire but they are pretty vulnerable to tank shells like this. In foxholes they tend to suffer more to mortars.

Withdraw battered platoons and replace with reserves?

If a platoon has taken a beating and are tired and scared I sometimes like to pull them out of the line and chuck a fresh one in.

I know a lot of this stuff depends on several variables and some of it is just personal preference, just interested to hear peoples opinions....

One more thing...

AT guns...aaarrrgh

Why oh why can I not get a camouflaged gun emplacement as a fortification?

Why can I not have a crew go and hide in the rear when the spotting rounds come in, then go back to the gun after the barrage?

Why can I not man a gun with another crew or even regular infantry when the crew gets killed?

The lack of all these abilities really nerf the effectiveness of what should be one of the Brits most valuable infantry weapons during this campaign.