Strange positions....really?

When i look over all the screenhots (which are great btw) i can't help noticing the mg-teams sitting in strange positions (i think it are strange positions, mind you). I haven't read as many books as some of you guys do here...but in order to aim, fire and make sure ya aren't spotted (for a while), isn't the correct position to lay down on yer belly instead sitting on yer butt? I mean, if you're close to the ground and weapon, ya aren't easily spotted, can aim better and just look cool smile.gif

As i said, haven't read many books on "How to deal with a MG", but the positions they're know are according to my knowledge NOT smart/cool. Maybe this is asked before, in that case i'm sorry. If not, please inform me.

Nice turn 12 btw,

PanzerShark

PanzerShark:

The reason, from what I've read, that they're sitting is to differentiate them from the suppressed teams. If your team is sitting, they're not suppressed and should execute any orders you give them shortly within command-and-control constraints. However, if they're prone, that means they're under fire and pinned down, and will probably ignore any orders you give them that they consider detrimental to their health.

The "sitting" teams may actually be prone in "real life", but they distinguish them this way for your convenience at a glance.

Dar Steckelberg

Guest Big Time Software

Dar is correct that this is visual. HOWEVER, the standard way of firing the German HMG42 is from a kneeling position (though I fired crosslegged when I did it. BUT, I knew I didn't have to get up in a hurry!) and the US ones while sitting. You CAN fire the US .30 and .50 cals on their tripods if you have them lowered enough. However, it reduces the ability to change fields of fire and fix things like missfires. MUCH easier two do this while sitting.

Steve

I've seen some pictures, too, of gunners firing the MG42 while kneeling using their also-kneeling assistant for a platform. I guess this was a good way to lay down some suppressive fire while pulling back. Obviously, the MG was bipod mounted and probably using the drum for a magazine (150 rds.?), but it sure beat having to set up a tripod first!

Dar Steckelberg