Montebourg Campaign: possible bug?

Sorry if this has been answered. Couldn't find anything.

I am working my way slowly thru this campaign. In the 10th mission -- Breakthrough -- I ended up wiping out all of the Germans on the map (there were only a handful), but the final scorecard said there were a bunch of Germans (68) still alive and kicking (so I only got a Tactical Victory). I got a Total Victory in the previous mission (Hell in the Hedgerows) and I understand that this had some influence on the size of the German force in this follow-up mission. Could that be the reason for this discrepancy?

Just curious.

Actually, it appears to be something even more strange. I had saved the game 3-4 times while completing this mission. For some reason, between one save and the next, almost all the Germans disappeared off the map (or more likely, something happened to corrupt the second save perhaps).

I would have to go back and play it again from one of the earlier saves, to see if it happens again, but it would be interesting to know if anyone has seen something like that happen.

Edit: OK. I looked at the briefing for this mission again. There is a suggestion there that the Germans may be attempting to exit and part of your mission is to stop them first. At least, I can interpret it that way now. Assuming that is the explanation, my apologies for the confusion.