Good operational games for training?

sonar

Just wondering if anyone knows,any good operational type games out there.something to learn the principles of this size of formation and how to use it?I suspect that there are a good few battallion leaders out there.How will they cope at the next level?

My earliest guess would be that using CM:C will be rather unlike any operational game that has gone before, simply because of the detail available in every ME on the map. I've played Airborne Assault and realize there is a great deal of info packed into every little counter, but my gut feeling is that CMC will still play very much differently.

I would agree. If you want a btn/company Eastern front game I would suggest HPS Panzer Campaign series, which have several titles covering the type of thing CMC will do, and the smaller scenarios will be similar in scale (Div sized and smaller).

However the devil is in the detail, and until we know the detail of CMC we wont know how close any game is. Also, I find that playing other games wont prepare you for the tactical skill element. 3:1 odds might do on a general combat in RL, or an operational level game, but can YOU command that inf Btn effectively in CMBB, against the ace player you bumped in to...? However, good general principles should balance that sort of thing out (recce properly, use balanced MEs etc). Charging about with just a heavy tank company km in front of your supports will be fun for a bit, but the game should allow you to be well punished for it later, and games like Panzer Campaigns will do just that. You wont get nice balenced scenarios in CMC - if you run a tank company into bandit country, expect the second or third CMBB battle to be something like:

10 Tiger I vs 12 76mm ATG, with an infantry company and 2-3 FO! (Thats what I would arrange for you, and even CMBB issues with ATG borg spotting and so on wont stop that ambush being a little one sided if done right!)