suggestions for input device

Bob Church

Dropteam is the first game of this sort I've tried. I have it on a Quad Macintosh and it runs beautifully. One thing though, I can tell right off that keyboard and mouse probably aren't the best for serious play. I'd like any recommendations for input devices. It doesn't need to be generalized, I'd be glad to buy a device for this game alone, but I don't know where to start. I need usb of course, but I'm not sure about needing programable buttons. One problem I've heard of when plugging usb devices into Macs is a lack of drivers for remapping keys, but it looks as though Dropteam might take care of that for me. Or is that wrong? I'm partial to a joystick configuration, but willing to try something else.

Anyway, and and all suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Bob Church

I find that the mouse is absolutely required for accurate shooting. Nothing else comes close.

I'm sitting here surrounded by input devices - there are pedals at my feet, a steering wheel with six buttons in front of me and a four axis joystick on my right. For DropTeam, I've tried various combinations and I still keep coming back to keyboard and mouse. The main reason is that there are a fair number of commands to be used, especially on the tactical screen where there are lots of Alt-v/Alt-h/Alt-m to be used. That requires keyboard and mouse and makes it awkward if you are using a steering wheel for driving.

So - my advice is stick to the keys and mouse. Driving with keys is never totally satisfying but practice will allow you to flick the vehicle between the trees and still nail that annoying person shooting at you.

If you want to practice shooting and driving, I recommend Slug Fest. The ground has plenty of flatter areas for driving at moderate speed and there are enough hillocks and valleys to make it interesting and give you something to hide behind.

Some tips for driving:

</font>

• Watch your speed!</font>
  • Cornering at speed is dangerous, especially with the Shrike.</font>
  • To turn a vehicle quickly, turn in without the accelerator. Once the vehicle is almost through the turn, press the accelerator down to pull the vehicle out of the turn. Some opposite lock may be required if the back slides out.</font>

For driving practice, play in CTF modes - you need to cover lots of ground when carrying the flag! The Paladin-L or Shrike are ideal flag carriers, although the Apollo L can be used if you have a posse of tanks.