the game fails launching

I have read all your topics about DEP solution to finish the e-license install and resolve the bugs on launching games.

It appears that DEP parameters are windows XP SP2 functions, i only have the family edition in base version on my computer. Do I need to install SP1 + SP2 to use DEP parameters and solve my problem?

Thanks for answer.

In fact when i try to launch the game, i've got a popub box telling me that SC2.exe encounters a problem and has been closed.

So i cannot launch the game. I've got a PIV 1,5 GHz with windows XP family edition and a gforce FX5200 plus 512MO RAM.

The error is an 0xc0000005 type.

Alright, now that DOES sound exactly like the DEP issue, it's even the same error message that usually pops up, which indicates that the encrypted eLicense service is prevented from running correctly.

I take it that you tried the DEP procedure already and it didn't work or you didn't find the described options? Let us investigate briefly what exactly the Family Edition is and we can probably come up with the correct fix real quick...

Martin

Alright, you probably have the Home Edition or Media Center? Whatever you have, if DEP is not running on your version, then it also cannot be a problem. So either you have DEP running and don't know it, or something else must be causing this error message.

You can do two things:

1 - verify that you do not have DEP. That's described in the FAQ, but in short: it's under "My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Settings > Data Execution Prevention". If you don't have that option, then it also is not causing the error.

2 - please run dxdiag and send us the output file. Here's how to do that:

Start->Run...

After that type: dxdiag

and press OK

Once the DirectX diagnostic utility has come up press "Save Information" and email that file to elicense@battlefront.com.

Thanks!

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. When I try to launch SC2, I got the same error message, and followed the procedure.

My computer is on XP-family edition too.

I do have the DEP and I put the 3 files

SC2.exe, Editor.exe and runservice.exe in the "turn on DEP for all windows programs and services EXCEPT those I select" box. It didn't fix the problem.

When I right click on the SC2 short cut-> license details, I can see my license is here.

Any news to fix this problem ?

Should I run dxdiag and send it to you ?

Thank you for your help.

OK i'm not the only one after all, i was thinking my computer configuration was unknown from developpers. I've had a lot of mails with martin and matt from battlefront and e-license. Unfortunatly they have found nothing till this time. Like you i'm up to date with directx, and windows xp (home edition), but the FAQ with DEP doesn't work on my computer. The first one who will find a clue can write to the other one. Here's my e-mail: maverick--44@wanadoo.fr

Due to your login name, i suppose you're french like me, could you answer if it is correct? I'm fed up writing here in english. I suspect a bug with the french xp version, and if you confirm you're french too, this will reenforce my idea, as you have exactly the same bug as me, and as we are the only one with this? What is your hardware? i've got a pentium IV 1,5 GHz, and a geforce fx 5200 graphic card.

Hi guys!

Yes, we're still investigating the specific issue that Maverick has, and so far, after countless attempts, it seems to be narrowing down to this specific version of Windows, and some really weird beheviour with regard to DEP support (or lack of it).

What doesn't make matters easier is that there is no official Family Edition according to Microsoft smile.gif So we're looking into the "Edition familiale" at the moment and investigating a few "hotfixes" released by Microsoft to see if they might help. Stay tuned... we'll get to the bottom of this.

Martin

thanks !

I have no idea if it's a feature but when I try to launch for instance the editor (and get the error described) then I don't see anymore the "license control" when I right click on the SC2.exe. Then if I try to launch sc2.exe, I still get the error but the "license control" option has switched from Editor to sc2.exe and so on.

Ok reading what electron libre wrote, i've tried the same thing on my computer and i have exactly the same result he has. I add that "edition familiale", is the right name of the windows xp we have (it is i think the french version of home edition). I got it when i bought my computer: christmas 2001, and it was one of the first xp version. I have installed all recommanded patches with windows update, but it changes nothing.

electron libre, yes, that is normal. The eLicense Control entry will always show up at the latest executable that you launched, and if there are more than one for a game (in the case of SC2 it's sc.exe and editor.exe), then it will "switch" from one to the other.

If "edition familiale" is simply the french name for XP Home Edition, then unfortunately that doesn't help us at all. :(

electron libre, can you please check your boot.ini file and see if you have an entry for "/noexecute" in there? The steps on how to do that are described here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352/EN-US/

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under the Startup and Recovery field.

3. In the System startup field, click Edit. The Boot.ini file opens in Notepad.

Maverick's system does not have that entry, even though it should be there according to Microsoft when you have SP2, which is probably causing the problem because he is not able to adjust the DEP settings (they always revert back to default).

We are currently investigating a couple of hotfixes which Microsoft released to "improve DEP stability on certain computers" as well as a manual procedure (it's actually described in the knowledgebase artivel linked to above) to add that entry manually. We need to be certain first that it is not going to roast your computer if you try to before recommending it, you know smile.gif

Martin

Hi Moon.

The boot.ini file:

[boot loader]

timeout=0

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Console de r‚cup‚ration Microsoft Windows XP" /cmdcons

I'm updating all I can right now. I'll see if it improves things.

Thanks again for your help.

I updated windows (although I have an automatic update, I had few updates missing). I rebooted and triedto launch SC2.exe and it worked. I played a few turns ona scenario and quit the game. I was happy at that time but...

I rebooted again to validate a last update for windows. Then I launched again SC2 and got the usual error. :confused:

Here are the updates I installed:

Windows XP Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 samedi 20 mai 2006 Windows Update

Windows XP Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) samedi 20 mai 2006 Windows Update

At the last reboot, I installed also:

Windows XP Mise à jour de sécurité pour Microsoft .NET Framework, version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB886903) samedi 20 mai 2006 Windows Update

and after this it didn't work anymore. I'm really confused.

OK great news!!! Fed up with all this bugs i tried to add in the boot.ini file the command line /noexecute=Optout

I installed too the update microsoft net framework 1.1, ad electron libre did.

Ok the game still doesnt work, but now my DEP parameters are fixed and memorized after reboot.

So i'm with the right configuration in the dep, but it still fails. I let you serach the following step.

Maverick, make sure that your line is /noexecute=OptOut and not just optout.

electron libre, you could try changing the setting to /noexecute=AlwaysOff

If you have it set to OptOut, you have to list sc2.exe etc. as an exception in the DEP settings.

Alternatively, you could also try running this as per the MX knowledgebase:

Per-program DEP configuration

For the purposes of program compatibility, you can selectively disable DEP for individual 32-bit programs when DEP is set to the OptOut policy level. To do this, use the Data Execution Prevention tab in System Properties to selectively disable DEP for a program. Alternatively, you can use the following command line to disable DEP for a program:

rundll32 sysdm.cpl, NoExecuteAddFileOptOutList "FullPathToExecutable"

Martin

Hi Martin.

I tried "/noexecute=AlwaysOff". I also listed the different combinations (sc2.exe, Editor and runservice) as an exception in the DEP settings (with reboot each time). It didn't fix the problem.

Sutpid question about the command:

rundll32 sysdm.cpl, NoExecuteAddFileOptOutList "C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Strategic Command 2 Blitzkrieg\SC2.exe"

Should I launch this in the "execute" windows ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! The problem isn't related to the game, but to your (french) version of Windows XP Home apparently. We're still investigating. So far, only two people reported this problem, but there are quite a lot more customers from France overall, so unless they have different OS or keep the fact to themselves that they see the same issue, it must be something very specific about your "edition familiale".

Sorry I have no better news yet but we're still working on locking this down.

Martin

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I have the same problem, too (Windows XP "Edition familiale")...

So, I'm unable to use your game on my computer since I bought it.

Are you sure of the compatibility of your software with the French release of Windows XP Edition familiale ?

I hope you will solve this problem rapidly.

Regards,

Jean-Roger