MPPs and connection to Capital question

MichaelOrsus

Hi, I'm still a comparative newbie playing SC1 with a friend and have a question. If an occupied city cannot trace a friendly "last controlled hex" line back to the capital, does the occupying country only get partial MPPs for that city? I read in one post that the MPPs go down to 50%, is that correct?

And if you re-establish the friendly controlled hex path during your turn, can you then build new units normally, or can you only build new units in cities that start the players turn connected to the capital?

Thanks for any clarificarions, this issue doesn't seem to be addressed in either the rules or the strategy guide.

When you click on the city you see how many mpps you get from it - without a connection to an own major capital it can only have max 5 strength (=5 mpps for normal cities, 10 mpps for capitals), with connection it goes up to 8 for conquered ones and 10 for liberated/joined cities.

Whenever you have (re-)established a friendly controlled hex path you can build units in the city - so you can e.g. move your garrison unit from a cut off city to reestablish the connection and then you can build a new unit in the city (and/or operate new units to it).

Thanks, Terif, that helps a lot! Seems like very few people are still playing SC1; are most playing SC2 or is there anything new and better out there? SC1 is a bit long in the tooth, and although I bought SC2 I can't get my friends to even try it out because of the no-hex issue. Any recommendations as to what is currently the best SC1 equivalent out there?

• 3 weeks later...

hi Michael - When you buy SC2 you get a second download for free so you can play a friend. One of my friends shared his download one at a time with 3 of us but like your friends no one liked the game without hexes so we continue to play SC1. You can buy a download version of SC1 for around $15 - very reasonable.

I do however remain hopeful that a 3rd version of SC will be made, and made with hexes like a proper war game should be.