49th Recce (Spoliers, CMBO battle)

Gpig

I'm immersed in CMBB but I've been playing one last PBEM battle with a pal of mine up in Canuckian land.

This is a fantastic battle! I'm not finished with it yet so I have not even looked at the depot (as I don't want any spoilers for my fight). But I will review it. (Though I imagine it's been reviewed a plenty.)

I'm playing the brits and I have to relate an exciting episode . . . .

SPOILER!!!

My Veteran British wolverine has been exceedingly handy. All of my Dalmiers and Humber scout cars have been picked off one by one by the German light armor. Especially troubling are those damnable Lynx!

I had steadily been moving up my wolverine to get an angle on those lynx. Luckily, I dispatched one, after he was distracted by some of my infantry.

Then my tank destroyer crew took out a kubelwagen, another couple of halftracks and was angling in on the 2nd lynx.

I had grown frightened of the 20mm german gun in CMBO. They almost always gave me a gun hit on the second shot. But somehow my Wolverine shrugged off a few bursts from the 2nd lynx and planted a round through it's kisser in the scattered trees near the village.

Suddenly, a PSW heavy armored car appeared to my wolverines right flank (a full 90degrees) near the end of the turn, and fired a shot that missed!

I was disheartened as I figured a 2nd shot would come at the head of the next turn, well before I could bring to bear my Wolverine's main gun.

Next orders phase I happily notice that I have an existing HUNT order still on the books. So I change that HUNT order to a REVERSE order and move the waypoint in the opposite direction to the threat. This allowed my Wolverine to execute a ROTATION and REVERSE away from the threat from second one of the next turn.

To my amazement, my crew managed to spin thier tank around and start reversing just as the heavy armored car fired another 75mm round from 161m!

KLANG. Front turret hit, internal armor flaking!

They had survived to retreat out of LOS.

When I checked the stats I found that the PSW (75mm) has a penetration of 87 at 100m. The Wolverine front turret is 50 at 45 degrees. Whoa! That was close! Also, I was slightly higher than the PSW in elevation. Which probably increased the angle of deflection even more.

These CMBO battles still hold a lot of drama! Though they may not seem as realistic compared to CMBB any longer. (I'm not sure I'd have been able to do the "HUNT to REVERSE and waypoint move" in CMBB like I could in CMBO.)

Anyways, Andreas (Germanboy). Thank you for the fantastic battle.

It's been a really fun time. Glad you spent the effort making the map and putting it out there for us to find. smile.gif

Gpig