RU Dogs as AT Weapons

Guest Seimerst

Greg,

Correct.. Although the British navy did experiment with two larger shot in separate cannon for a time.. Wasn't very succesful.

The ground-based artillerists never seemed to cop onto the need to place both shot in one cannon and, as such, never really got the chained shot deal working well.

• 1 year later...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Didnt the US in the past train dolphins to detonate underwater mines? I saw a doco on it way back and cant remember any details.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The U.S. navy used dolphins, sea lions, and beluga whales. I'm not sure if they were used to detonate underwater mines, but I know they were used to locate them. They were also used for security to guard against enemy combat swimmers. They were used in Viet Nam as well as the Persian Gulf.

The Soviets also used dolphins in their military.

Funny thing ... I have a book that you can probably get discount from anywhere ... Inside the Soviet Army ... 1990-91 book and obviously didn't sell as well as it was supposed to considering the fall of it subject matter ... but I swear to god there was a modern pic in there of a German Shepherd and its trainer ... the dog had what looked like a bomb pack on its back and some sort of trigger in its mouth.

Dont know what it was ......