Operation Library

Having completely emmersed myself into CMA I found several decent reads on the war however the one that should be either packaged with or advertised beside CMA on the battlefront homepage is "THE BEAR WENT UP THE MOUNTAIN" an excellent tactical study of many different actual firefights between Russia and Afghan Insurgency, the battles reprucussions, suggestions and tactical maps are there plus, editors comment further enrich the read. This is the perfwct handbook for CMA, Of course the next and final frunze study "The Soviet-Afghan War: How a Superpower Fought and Lost by Michael A. Gress, Lester W. Grau" is the huge holy Bible of the entire operations, its a little more expensive than the average book but a grognardians wet dream!! topographical studies, weapons, weapons ballistics,After action, ect ect its ALL there!!

Currently also reading:

+The Great Gamble: The Soviet War in Afghanistan by Gregory Feifer

+The Hidden War: A Russian Journalist's Account of the Soviet War in Afghanistan by Artem Borovik

Now Im back to the library and its my move WEGO!!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I pine for the old red bear sometimes, simplier times, the cold war days. Enemies of the state wore uniforms and lived by honour codes...Feifers book is the best Ive come across so far. Just finished reading "AFGHANISTAN a russian soldiers story" by Vladislav Tamarov but its a pictorial for the most part but his memior section, although not Tolstoy, comes off as honest and universally familiar to students and veterans of war alike. Its a quick read. There aren't too many mind blowing pixs--his personal collection is mostly of him digging up mines..but out of a ten Id give it a 7 and a half but grognards will walk away from the book still hungry..."The bear went over the mountain" stays on my war desk at all times while playing CMA as well...a fantastic book of tactical tips! can't plug it enough!

while looking up Tamarovs book I stumbled across and purchased " One Soldiers War" By Arkady Babchenko about his expierences in chechnya while serving as a russian soldier...the memior actually received some literary nods and won the Globe and Mail best book pick but while reading it I am struck by how Russia apparantly has taken very little from its expierences in afghanistan as a matter of fact some of the firefights almost echoes as the ghosts of afghanistan...a lot more nasty urban fighting though..