CM Freezes and/or crashes constantly

I've been trying to fix this for days now and have pretty much given up unless anyone can think of anything new.

System;

Intel P3 1GHz

Gigabyte VIA appollo pro MB

Nvidea Geforce 2 GTS

Montego Quadzilla soundcard

256MB Ram

windows 98, Direct x 7a (and have tried DX8)

Running all the latest drivers for everything, and have tried various versions of the detonator drivers.

Ive even re-installed win98, and only had CM loaded and it still does it.

as far as the game settings - tried 800x600, or 1024x768, turned smoke of, turned smoke on, turned sound off turned sound on etc etc etc.

Tried playing with BIOS settings, ie AGP 1x-4x, Apature size etc.

Tried ENDALL to close everything down in the background.

Nothing seems to make the slightest difference.

The problem: At random times, could be anytime in the game, and I can go 5 or 6 turns without it happening, the game either crashes to the desktop, or goes 'Bing' when i try to click on something only to find the game has frozen. Hitting ESC exits to the desktop.

Any new ideas guys??? cos i'm about to give up.

Love the game though... High 5 to the developers. :confused:

Ok, what drivers for you Geforce are you using? I would highly recommend the official 6.50 version Detonator 3 drivers direct from Nvidias website. Also, is this occuring in all types of battles (large and small) or specific maps? Check also to see if there is any correlation between the map type (snowing, raning, fog etc...) and the lockups.

You may want to also have a look in the Windows Device Manager and make sure that none of your devices (cheifly the Soundcard and Video card) are not sharing any resources (IRQ's) as that can also cause lockups in some games.

Matt

Have tried detonator drivers 6.31, and 6.50, as well as loading directx 8 and trying one of the 7 series drivers (can't remember which one off the top of my head) None made any difference.

All my IRQ's check out ok. Video card and sound card have seperate IRQ's allocated, and no conflicts in the system.

Will put some more time into a bunch of scenarios and see how it goes, but it has even frozen in map maker.

smile.gif