Road to Leningrad-- Check the Batteries

Played the first of JasonC's RtoL scenarios, the one where a Soviet battery is attacked by German troops.

I played this three times against AI-- but this would make a very good two player little game.

Spoilers

I played this three times against AI-- but this would make a very good two player little game. I think the briefing should give an idea (to the Soviet players) of WHERE the approaching sounds are from, nd perhaps a landmark saying "Enemy activity ??". Else, simply tell the Soviet player-- all's quiet, all's well.

Each time, AI attacked in column down the left side of map.

First time: I ordered all guns to bug out. 4 got out.

Second time: I tried to fight with 2 guns, 4 got out.

Third time: I ordered everyone to stay and fight. Rushed the commander in his jeep to command the two guns and the infantry. Moved the infantry to covered positions in the scattered trees in the centre. The Germans marched into crossfire (small arms, 76 mm direct and area) from the front and from their right, and died in droves.

All three times, a draw.

Perhaps not the best game for AI-- I noticed that the Germans come with all kinds of toys (82 mm, MG 34), and lots of transport: even if the Soviet gunners decide to stand and fight, it should be easy (with 20 min rather than 15) to destroy the guns one by one.