Communications between units

Sorry if this has been rehashed many times, but here's a situation that I found myself in, and I was wondering what the consensus was on it:

Playing Marines, on Veteran.

I have a marines squad about 200 m from a hill. The squad is about 5 meters (no more) from a LAV. The squad spots a machine gun at the top of the hill and starts shooting at it. First there's a question mark of course, but quickly it turns into the icon of a machine gun.

Problem is, the LAV sits there doing absolutely nothing for a good 30 seconds. I click on the LAV, and it doesn't even have a question mark where the mg should be. I had to manually target the area of the mg to provide suppressing fire (and killing fire, ultimately).

Now I understand the whole chain of command communications thing, but can't the squad just shout to the LAV gunner "GET THE F****G machine gun on the hilltop, follow our bullets!!!!"

Should I have been expecting the LAV to behave differently, or is this as expected?

Thanks.