CMBB: Loading Autosave crashes back to desktop.

Alan

There seems to be a bug that corrupts all the save games, including autosaves, when the game crashes. Like, double your displeasure, double your, eh, fun. (The saved game battle icon also changes to "Germans vs. Germans" and the battle size to "tiny". Both in ops and battles.)

Maybe this could also be taken care of in the patch? Methinks it's bit of a critical nuisance.

[ October 31, 2002, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: JVril ]

IF the game crashes it will not corrupt previously saved files at all. It never even looks at those files unless of course one of them is currently in play.

Please explain your issue clearly for me. Are you saying you had a crash and now none of your saved games will load?

Madmatt

Thanks for your interest. Had this problem numerous times in the larger ops, but now managed to invoke it in a single battle, too. Every time the game crashes, both the autosave and the manually saved game (in this instance, it was saved some 5 turns before the crash) both became unplayable - this is how they look in the menu (cut out the extra space inbetween):

save.gif

Trying to load those of course crashes the game. Other saved games work fine, just the ones that are connected to the mission that was at hand while the game crashed are corrupted. Which, of course would be most appreciated to continue playing the cliffhanger situation!

Oh yeah, Win 2K, 256MB,AMD Athlon XP 1600+, and the CDV version.

The crash initially probably is due to memory shortage (severe symptoms which should advise the player to exit the game include getting the "regular" mouse cursor appear in the game.) But I really don't know what's up with the saved games, because this really is a systematic error.

(Dunno yet what happens if I saved multiple saves with different file names.)

[ November 03, 2002, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: JVril ]

Okay, yeah I do recall a similar issue to this in CMBO and Win2k. What is happening if I remember correctly is that Windows is trying to index those saved games and in the process it is corrupting the content. I * think* the fix was to make sure Windows 2K doesn't index any of the directories associated with CM but i will need to try and find my notes on this.

It was an old issue, but it can be fixed and it is something that Windows 2K is doing to those files.

Right click on your CMBB folder and go to Properties>Advanced. You want to make sure that Windows isnt encrypting, Indexing or compressing those directories.

Madmatt