patch and mouse problems

Kennmass

I was just sold version 1.2 and here I am trying to update the next day to version 1.5!! Anyways, the readme file says I have to replace my cm.exe file or something like that, But when I try to do that I get a message saying it can't replace a file that already exist. So I try to delete the old file altogether and then add the new one but then I get the message saying it is write protected. What am I doing wrong? Also, I can't see my mouse except for an occasional glimpse. The mouse is a microsoft BASIC mouse. If I can't resolve these problems I'll have to return the game for a refund, I hope it doesn't come to that. Thanks in advance, Ken

Does the message say you actually CAN'T replace a file or is it just a warning that you are about to replace a file?

I have never heard of not being able to replace. Only other possibility is that the file is in use and it can't be accessed - this would happen if you ESC'ed out of CM to do the patching and it is still running in the background.

OR, you are actually trying to replace the cm.exe file on the CD!? smile.gif

Sorry, can't help with the mouse driver thing.

[This message has been edited by LuckyShot (edited 09-18-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Make sure you're running Microsoft DirectX version 7.0A (the latest one) and have installed the most up-do-date mouse drivers. Also make sure to turn OFF any cursor or desktop "themes" in Windows.

Here's a step-by-step for the patch:

1) After you have downloaded the patch, double click the icon labeled CM105. (This icon will be located wherever you decided to save the file when you downloaded it from BTS.)

2) After you double click it you will be prompted for a location to extract the files to. It really doesn't matter where you extract them to, it can be your cmbo folder or your desktop. (I will use the desktop in this example.)

3) Select your desktop for the extract location. (C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP)

4) Hit finish...the program will extract the files and place them on your desktop. Close the extraction program.

5) Go to your desktop. You should see the following folder "cm v1.05 update"

6) Double click the "cm v1.05 update" icon to open this folder.

7) You will have the following contents in this folder:

a) New BMP (folder)

B) 00002080.wav (file)

c) Combat Mission.exe

d) README_v105

8) Open the New BMP folder and copy its contents into your existing Combat Mission BMP folder. If you did not alter the default location, it will be located at c:\program files\cmbo\bmp.

9) Now copy the wav file from the update folder to your Combat Mission WAV folder. Again, if you didn't change the default location it is at c:\program files\cmbo\wav.

10) Copy the Combat Mission.exe file to your Combat Mission folder. (c:\program files\cmbo) Make sure you copy the file, not create a short cut.

11) The README_v105.txt file also outlines these same steps.

Charles