Comparison to Close Combat

Robban

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of whether game X is worth the money or not, Hertston is right about the general principles.

A computer game, or just about anything in the media industry for that matter, whilst in development doesn't bring in any money unless it's getting an advance from either the bank or a publisher. A released game that's selling will be bringing in money. It's not uncommon - in fact it's usual - for the income from one release to go some way towards paying the wages for the development of the next release, either directly or via publishers' advances. In passing, when you see the long list of credits in a game don't forget that lots of them will be either short-term contractors or people working on multiple projects - not to mention various people that might get credited that didn't get paid.

As to pricing, let's say (to keep the numbers simple) a game generates $10 of profit and sells 1000 copies. Drop the price by 25% and maybe it'll sell 15% more copies. Total income would be $8625. Increase the price by 25% and maybe it'll sell 15% fewer copies. Total income would be $10625. All other things being equal any business will sell at the higher price. Someone will have had a look at what other games are selling for, and there are a handful of fairly standard prices to pick from, and then make some sort decision as to which price will generate the most profit based on estimated sales.

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

Close Combat has had 10 years to refine itself. ToW has had less than a week. As it stands right now, ToW is more fun and offers better gameplay than CCIII for me.

Anybody remember CC1? Thats's what you should be comparing TOW to, if anything, based on gameplay merits.

when you make a game that obviously is destined to attrackt CC fans by its realism(they said it would be more like CC) and also regular rts players by its design and graphics.

then why didnt they took inspiration from the good things in CC, that would defenately keep the CC fans playing TOW.

Close combat had practically laid a golden path for them, all they had to do was follow that path and they would have succes guaranteed.

the game is defenately inspired from CC, but for some reason i don't understand they took the good things and made them bad.

it is such a shame, they had everything to make a good game...

Regardless of whether game X is worth the money or not, Hertston is right about the general principles.

I could also tell my friends to come here and tell that I am right LOLZ.

Nope. You are both wrong. Actually there is something in what you wrote but I said numerous arguments and you cannot just like that dismiss them. Nope.

They can set any price they want but it is a matter of question will it sell? I am not buying it at this price and many, many others.

And actually you will not hear wargame publishers telling you how good game is selling. Mostly they hide this info.

Even on Matrix site there were at least 10 people who said that they will not buy the game if I remember correctly. Translate that into sales numbers as so few people in fact post so you can imagine that many are not pleased with that price.

But if only those who are pleased post then everything would be just splendid.

So they lost my sale and sale of many others. That doesn't bode well with your telling that Hertson and Matrix got it right...

Sure spend your money your way, I will my way.

Hmmm, this discussion is not going anywhere.

Mario

no worries Sfox28

I have been playing cc5 gold juno sword and it I just have not seen it cc5 fail. It still works now.... I should reboot into my vista install and try it ;)

I do know some peeps have had probs though and have not played anything below cc4 in a very long time