Possibilites for this game engine?

Max Wünsche

Does the game engine have the flexibility to be expanded in the future with larger maps and have more units on a map at any one time...!

I guess things are not exactly known until its tried, although I am basing this on the fact the game is based on the Il-2 engine and so should be able to have things at a much larger scale...

I can hear people crying 'what a click-fest that would be with multiple companies or a battalion on the map'...

I just think this could be explored to perhaps have 5x5 or up to 10x10km maps, with a map maker/editor so we could re-create great historic battles of all different scales.

Anything from a small clash or a few platoons right up to battalion vs battalion in say a Caen scenario...

Would drool at having to pitt 12th ssascolor2wi4.gif Hitlerjugend against the Brits! trying to contain the breakout...

Saw the latest vid of gameplay on Youtube! looks impressive!!!

Bigger maps? The engine is obviously not capable to simulate enough infantry, to fill the current maps. Is there a AAR with more than 30 infantry soilders? This is not even platoon level.

Clickfest trough more units? With soilder-level-selection instead of unit-level-selection it is already a drag-selection-orgy.

Exactly!!! you can manage each squad a with one click by just telling the commander what to do...

Im not saying order every-single individual in a battalion... no only would that take forever! your enemy would no-doubt have handed your ass to you on a plate before you have actually got started proper!

I can see how it can be done...!

The game 'OFFICERS' claim they can have 1500 units on a map at one time!

Originally posted by Markus86:

you can select the whole squad by clicking on the commander.

So it's a funny guess-whos-the-commander-of-these-guys-and-find-him-game, until he's dead. Seriouslly imagine situations like this:

image006.jpg

with realistic infantry numbers - at least 3 times more soilders in that trenches. With an icon for each guy, you would have a sea of icons, but no fast overview.

To control infantry numbers at least like those in CloseCombat, you need unit-level-selecton, like CC had it. And one icon per unit - at least when you zoom out to have an overview, which will be 90% of the time, if you're playing to win, and not to make nice screenshots or video.

Easy... You have a group of say 8 men...

Who follow what you tell their commander...

If he dies, the command of the squad/platoon goes to the next guy... and so on and so on until/if they are wiped out!

Yes they are individual soldiers, but they can be controlled as squads and not necessarily always individually...

The way you describe it, its as if you had 500 men on the map and you had to issue orders to each and every single person!

The way I am meaning it is the simplified and more realistic way...

Originally posted by Max Wünsche:

If he dies, the command of the squad/platoon goes to the next guy

AFAIK this is not currently the case. If the commander dies, no more squad selecetion.

My point was, that (with bigger infantry numbers) having to look for the commander of each unit, to select it, is bad usablity. This could by improved by:

- making the commander/unit icons bigger

- displaying only the commander/unit icons, when you zoom out.

Or simply do it like CloseCombat does it...

Going back to the original wish for battalion size battles. I don't think, that the engine can handle this in realtime. I would already be happy to see companies, instead of the current half platoons.

The problem is not graphics, but the simulation: AI, pathfinding, line-of-sight-checks...

Well, the developers of 'Officers' claim to have 5x5 km maps - 25km sq. With up to 1500 units...

I realise they have a totally different engine, however larger maps are a must what with some tanks have far-reaching hitting power!

I guess you dont have to have battalion size all on the map at the same time... Say you start with 1 or 2 companies on the map and as you sustain casualties you get reinforcements at scheduled times etc...

Just like in real life you have reserves available or forces ready to further a breach in enemy lines...

Originally posted by Max Wünsche:

Well, the developers of 'Officers' claim to have 5x5 km maps - 25km sq. With up to 1500 units...

I realise they have a totally different engine, however larger maps are a must what with some tanks have far-reaching hitting power!

The question is, if in 'Officers' the tanks have far-reaching hitting power. On the latest screens the game looks more like Sudden Strike or Codename Panzers, where tanks have a max range of 50m. This of course decreases the line-of-sight-tests dramaticlly.