Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Playback problem on XP box - Possible solution

A few weeks back, I noticed CMBO would lock up when viewing the movie. Typically, if I paused the playback, it would go straight to the end of the clip and stay there. I could watch it at 2 or 10 second intervals if I wanted to push keys but what's the point of the movie then, eh? Soon, I even had the "impossibly high movie time" problem that I saw in another post.

I posted this here and elsewhere, getting good advice that didn't seem to apply. I deleted and reloaded CMBO, checked my video driver and reset various variables. Still had the same problems.

Just in case, I took the time to clean up the main disk. I off-loaded files, removed old programs and checked the drive. Then I actually turned off the box to make sure it would do the scan when I re-booted. Everything went as planned but when it was done, I found that my password needed updating.

Then it occurred to me that, for several weeks, I had been letting XP 'hibernate' the computer, instead of actually turning off the power. Windows, as is generally known, has a problem when left running for too long; files get garbled, counts get too high, etc. The end result is many weird problems in random programs.

The classic solution is the cold-boot which I had forgotten about since I no longer have a 286 box in the house. Guess some things never change, eh?

Marcus "Classic Windows" Evenstar