Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Infantry Infants

Hey all,

Discussed before but worth mentioning again...

The infantry is all but useless in this game. I'm talking even when appropriate combined arms operations tactics are carefully observed.

1) Their well-noted fragility. Even with overwatch and assault orders (or fast moves). Even micromanaging their routes to follow all cover. Even dropping them off close to highly suppressed targets in mopping up operations. Even after popping smoke like a KISS concert. They die off like flies.

2) Deployed infantry units, even crack troops seem to have no additional ability to spot enemy units. Even when those units begin actively killing them. Their spotting seems about as effective as that of buttoned up vehicles. A FULL, DEPLOYED SQUAD. You would think this would gain some advantage. I mean, not looking at the world through a periscope.

Obviously, the following tactic would be a good idea for force preservation even if they fixed the above. But I end up simply letting my troops sit in their carriers while the Strykers, M1's and artillery attrit the enemy.

Anybody else find this highly frustrating?

Actually, the infantry vs. infantry scenarios are if anything worse, as in this case the attacking infantry lacks the benefit of AFV's on overwatch.

I completely agree that the infantry unit's lack of any sense of self-preservation is unrealistic and one of the essential problems of the game/AI.