Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Slum clearing: changes after 1.02

I spent a little time re-running my massive slum scenario with the 1.02 patch and noted the following changes in the action:

Pro:

1) Units really do seek cover more actively now. A close-up firefight took place during an uncon counterattack -- a pair of fighter groups "assaulted" a small HQ team while it was on the move. The HQ team immediately sought cover and returned fire, destroying the two attacking units with the help of a nearby MMG. Of course, the uncon units just crawled around taking fire... so maybe this should go in Con. Hmmm. Still, it partly worked, which was cool!

2) Vehicles are much better at self-preservation. A pair of M2s were sent down the valley of death (a long open road with high buildings and alleys on every side) and made it, popping smoke and returning fire. Very cool.

3) Vehicle pathing appears to be much better (?). I noticed that my armor was able to navigate quite well around uncon blockades. I know this wasn't a 1.02 change... or was it?

Con:

1) Units are still getting stuck left and right. I had four (very depleted) infantry teams running the Mile to a pair of waiting Brads... and only ONE of them managed to get there without getting stuck, and that was with a lot of micro. They were navigating around trenches, walls, and a building corner, and they were under fire. One unit flopped down and then refused to move for the rest of the scenario.

2) All of SGT_P's remaining observations regarding infantry AI still hold. I know none of these were meant to be fixed, I just wanted to post a reminder...

3) Most annoying of all, though; units still can take literally 5-10 seconds to react to a situation. I told a team to "hunt" into an enemy area. They did so, spotted an enemy, and then *stood there* until the enemy cut them down. They didn't get a shot off.

4) RPGs are still way too deadly. RPG-7s managed to kill two Brads from the front with one shot each. This didn't bother me so much as the fact that a dozen dismounts within a 30m radius were killed by the pair of blasts... while in a trench. And hiding.

Huh?:

1) Body armor was VERY visible. At one point a vehicle crewman was running across an open area, taking fire all the way. Tracers were literally ricocheting off of his armor as he ran. 'Course, that should probably have knocked him off his feet.

There you have it. Honestly, though, I had a blast during the several run-throughs I gave this scenario. Good job on the 1.02 stuff, I look forward to later patches.

Cheers.