Command delays

SteveS

How will command delays be implemented in CMx2?

Ths system as it is in CMx1 is not very satisfactory for reasons that have been discussed before, i.e., there is not always an equivalency between the complexity of an order in real-life and the number of waypoints plotted in CM. The obvious example being the case of ordering a vehicle down a windy road via a series of fast moves.

Perhaps this has been suggested before, but I've always thought that the CMx1 system would have been better if command delays were only incremented if the plotted movement type was different than the previous one. e.g. telling an infantry unit to fast (across wide open terrain) followed by move-to-contact (through wood) followed by advance (across a short gap) etc. would have a larger command delay than vehicle example above, reflecting the

greater complexity of the second set of orders.

I think the CMx1 system was quite good. But there should be something else in CMx2. The command delay should have two parts, first one is the time the squad needs to implement the order. This is done well in CMx1. The second part should be the time needed to get the command from higher levels to the squad leader. This is something which is very limited in CMx1. Ofcourse there is the problem that who should the player be in the chain of command. In CMx1 I think the player was _every_ squads leader. Yes, there is a small delay if the platoon is not in command, but not big enough. In CMx2 I hope we will see that the player is the company commander in this respect. If the chain of command is broken from HQ to the squad, the penalty should be _big_.

Optimally I would like to see a system where squads have missions. Advance there, defend that building, delay missions etc. Now, giving new missions to the squad should be slow. Giving orders which are a part of the mission should be fast. I mean if you are assaulting a building, you could first lay down suppressive fire and then give the NOW! order. Small delays. But if you instead want the squad to move to the other side of the village because there is a new threat, the delay should be big. Now all this is propably something which will be impossible to implement in a computer game. But anyways the command delay should have two parts. The part it takes the squad leader to give the command to his squad and the time it takes for the command to arrive from the player to the squadleader. The US player in CMx2 should enjoy much smaller delays, and this is because the US system allows commands go faster in the chain.